Placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Placement

Post by Mgs » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:43 pm

I have 5 kids.. in September I’ll have..
DS11- rising 6th grade, comfortably doing Rod and Staff 4 (around lesson 40).
DD9 - rising 4th grader, comfortably doing Rod and Staff 3.
DS9 - rising “4th” grader, comfortably doing Rod and Staff 2.
(2 younger ones- 5&3)

I have a bigger guide we started this week and so far we love it. I think it’s what I’m looking for. The older 3 are doing well with it.. a bit easy for 2 of them, just right for DS9.

I am not sure if I should bump DS11 up so he’s working more at his level (CtoC would work for him). I want him to have the option of doing HOD in highschool.

Rice

Re: Placement

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:56 am

If it was me, I'd bump the 11yo up. It's much easier to have each child where they place for skills. Keeping the 2 9yos together makes sense, even if you have different expectations of them (for example, the one finding things easy might, part way through the guide, be able to read the Science book independently), but holding the 11yo back proabably won't benefit them long term, and may even be harder for you both in trying to keep them challenged and to figure out high school credits that will work.

I have had an 13yo use Preparing, but that was because that was where he fit skill-wise (with higher LA, and science) and since he wasn't combined with a sibling, I was able to adjust things for high school credit fairly easily. (He graduated after WG.) I have also run up to 5 HOD guides (plus 2 K-2nd kids doing just 3Rs), soI know that multiple guides is definitely possible.

Blessings as you figure out placement and adjust to the HOD way of doing things. It has truly been a blessing to our family!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:01 am

I would definitely talk to the 11yo about moving to another guide. I know a few kids haven't liked being "separated" from the rest of the family for school, but many find the independence beneficial. And it would make high school credits easier! Using Rev2Rev and MtMM for high school isn't hard, but it is harder using RtR. There definitely are cases where I child needs to use RtR for high school, but it doesn't sound like that is the case for your oldest.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:38 am

That makes sense. He definitely does not want to repeat any of the history he’s already done right now. His skills are pretty average for his age/grade. I think it might be possible to work on grammar, literature analysis, etc and hopefully have him prepared for 8th to do mtmm, maybe start it halfway through 7th to give him time. Not really doing any of the other guides but his own courseload. I want the highschool guides for him because I want a more conservative approach to the literature he uses and I’m most comfortable with HOD vs sonlight/MFW. I have intermediate beautiful feet guide to use with him this year, as well as sonlight. I have dithor.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:26 pm

I'm so glad you are enjoying Bigger Hearts - such inspirational American history! It sounds just right for your nine-year-olds.

I enjoyed the 9th through 12th grade high school guide sequence with HOD with our sons. The entire four-year sequence builds upon itself beautifully, and it did a wonderful job of preparing our sons for college! It also kept their love of good books and their faith in the Lord intact, for which I am forever grateful.

I think you have a good goal to try to have your oldest son do the 4-year high school guide sequence. Working back from that, it makes sense to have your son do MTMM in 8th. Heart of Dakota's guides incrementally get more difficult every year across all subject areas - in reading, writing, maturity, level of independence, length of time of coursework, multi-step projects, etc.

It would truly be such a good idea for your son to begin CTC (or even RTR, if able) now for 6th grade. The guides get incrementally more difficult in prep for high school, and that was so helpful in preparing our sons for 9th Grade WG with HOD. You are just wise to ask this question about your son now, as he is in 6th grade, rather than later, when he is in 8th grade. Very timely, as you have years to gradually prepare him for his 9th grade year of WG.

DITHOR will be great to do no matter what - and you already have that on hand. Hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:14 pm

Thank you! I wish I could start him sooner but he is very turned off by the history. We’ve done story of the world and did ALOT of books. He is most interested in World War 1&2 now. We are all going to work through bigger and preparing and see where he’s at. I am excited to have a much better balance of history and lots of time for him to explore his interests before highschool. These two guides are so wonderful and gentle.