Bible Selection

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
binky8

Bible Selection

Post by binky8 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi!
I am trying to decide on a Bible for my 12 year old son to use with Preparing. He has not done any formal Bible study or reading. I would like to teach him this year how to find Book, chapter, and verse. Also, want it to be an enjoyable reading level. Looking for a Bible that is not overwhelming in size or content. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thank you!!

Binky
Mom to 8 amazing
kiddos 😀

StephanieU

Re: Bible Selection

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:57 pm

Here are my suggestions:
1. Determine what translation you want.
2. Look for 10-14pt font, but check the Bible size to make sure it is still portable!
3. Consider design, maps, tables, etc.
4. Buy tabs to mark the first page of each book. The ones that color coffee the second tend to be easiest to use.

If you want to work on speed, consider doing Sword Drills. My kids used to do them regularly at our old church when they were 1st-5th grades. Someone calls out a reference, and you race to find it. You could even put the references on cards or use memory verse cards, letting younger ones pick the card out of the stack!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)