High School Vocabulary

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

High School Vocabulary

Post by jer2911mom » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi,

I understand that vocabulary is one of the four components of the high school English credit. Can you please tell me how it is covered in the high school guides?

Thanks!
Kathy

StephanieU

Re: High School Vocabulary

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:27 pm

My understanding is that vocabulary can be a part of English, it isn't absolutely necessary to be formally included. We have only done the LA in WG, and we will be using a local class for WH, so I am not an expert.

I looked at the common core standards (which I know are controversial, but contain what public schools in many states cover), and here is what it says for 9th and 10th grade:
L.9-10.4 Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grades 9–10 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies. a. Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence, paragraph, or text; a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase. b. Identify and correctly use patterns of word changes that indicate different meanings or parts of speech (e.g., analyze, analysis, analytical; advocate, advocacy). c. Consult general and specialized reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning, its part of speech, or its etymology. d. Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase (e.g., by checking the inferred meaning in context or in a dictionary).
ELA.EE.L.9-10.4 Demonstrate knowledge of word meanings. a. Use context to determine the meaning of unknown. b. Identify and use root words and the words that result when affixes are added or removed. c. Consult reference materials (dictionaries, online vocabulary supports) to clarify the meaning of unfamiliar words encountered when reading. d. Not applicable (See ELA.EE.L.9- 10.4.c. above.)
L.9-10.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings. a. Interpret figures of speech (e.g., euphemism, oxymoron) in context and analyze their role in the text. b. Analyze nuances in the meaning of words with similar denotations. ELA.EE.L.9-10.5 Demonstrate understanding of word relationships and use. a. Interpret common figures of speech. b. Determine the intended meaning of multiple meaning words. L.9-10.6 Acquire and use accurately general academic and domain-specific words and phrases, sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.

All of this is covered in HOD.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jer2911mom

Re: High School Vocabulary

Post by jer2911mom » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:42 am

Thank you, Stephanie!