MTMM economics for High School

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
homeschoolm93

MTMM economics for High School

Post by homeschoolm93 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:59 pm

My son will be starting MTMM soon. He has completed all guides up through Revival to Revolution. He will be in 10 grade this fall. He has always struggled in school(comprehension especially). I'm trying to decide if I should add to the included economic resources to give him .5 credit or wait until his senior year and use the economic resources from US2 guide. I'm not sure how he will do with the US2 economics even if we wait because of his struggles with comprehension. He reads well but the understanding just isn't there with higher level books.
thank you,
Christina

Rice

Re: MTMM economics for High School

Post by Rice » Tue May 24, 2022 9:22 pm

We're in Canada, so our options are definitely different, but I added a weekly podcast about marketing/economics/advertising strategies.

Also check what your state considers a credit. Our province considers 110 hours a credit (55 hours for a half), while Carrie/HOD uses the guideline of 150-180 hours (so a minimum 75 per half). Based on this, her half credit guidelines are nearly 1.5 times what is required here, so with the once per week 10 minute podcast, I considered that enough; while I believe Carrie might have said it still was not enough.

I learned along the way that HOD was too much for my son with LDs, and doing less, but doing it well at his comprehension/success level, was much better than worrying about getting in everything in the guide.

If you can find a way to make it work (reconciling what HOD recommends, what your state considers a credit, and what your son is capable of), I would recommend giving him a half credit now, freeing his last couple years for other things that you learn will suit him and open doors for him, as opposed to still needing prerequisites/required courses.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

homeschoolm93

Post by homeschoolm93 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:15 am

Thank you! A podcast would be a nice addition to the assigned books in MTMM.
Christina

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 25, 2022 11:49 am

With LD, he would likely have an IEP if he was in public school. So, I would start with what is in the MtMM guide and see how much time is spent on economics. Although the materials aren't "high school level," with a LD, that would be a common accomodation for an IEP. Then, decide how much more time you need to spend to get a half credit. Maybe you could get away with just watching the videos or adding one extra book from US2...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

homeschoolm93

Post by homeschoolm93 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:33 pm

Thank you! I was just exploring dvd ideas to add in. I see that Money Wise is a dvd and I also read in an older post R.C Sproul Jr economics for everybody is in dvd. I think adding a dvd resource would be best instead of adding more reading. I'd love to hear of other's experiences with those 2 dvd resources.

I also read in an older post that I might be able to get .5 government credit from revival to revolution, which he completed this year for 9th grade. He will also be doing the president study from MTMM this next year. I had planned on the noble experiment his senior year but if he has enough for that government credit already, it would be nice for him to have time to focus on personal interests. I would love to hear other's thoughts about this too.
Thank you,
Christina