New to HOD and need help figuring out what to order

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sarannsmith

New to HOD and need help figuring out what to order

Post by sarannsmith » Tue May 24, 2022 4:15 pm

I am looking at HOD for next school year. We have a son (10 years old, will be 5th grade) and a daughter (12 years old, will be 7th grade), who have always homeschooled. We are in need of a curriculum change and I love how many learning styles HOD targets and that it is still literature based, which is what we are used to and enjoy as a family. Our son is a strong reader, but struggles with writing. He does great with dictation and oral retelling, but when it comes time for him to write a short narration or do creative writing, he struggles and fights it. Our daughter is an extremely strong reader and good with spelling, narration, and basic outlining for reports but also tend to struggle with creative writing. Both write in cursive well. We would like to keep them in the same series if possible and just add extensions for our daughter if necessary. I was looking at Creation to Christ with the extensions or Resurrection to Reformation with extensions, but wasn't sure which would be the best place for our family to begin HOD? Also, I was thinking Level 4/5 of Drawn into the Heart of Reading for our son and Level 6/7/8 for our daughter? I am also not sure where to begin each of the kids in the Building Christian English Series. Both know the basic parts of speech but haven't done any diagramming. Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make sure I get the order right before I place it!
Thanks,
Sara

Rice

Re: New to HOD and need help figuring out what to order

Post by Rice » Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 pm

If you had only your son to worry about, where does he fit best (using the skills on the placement chart)? Place him first, then decide if that placement is also a good for for your daughter by adding the Extensions and using her level of math and English. (Always place the younger one first with HOD.) Most people use Preparing (1x/unit, 3-5 sentence, parent led written narration; creative writing 1x/unit based on poetry) or CTC (1x/unit, 5-8 sentence written narration; 2x/unit formal writing program) for 5th; only RTR if they are advanced across the board (reading, writing, and maturity).

As for the Rod & Staff English for grammar, HOD's goal is for them to finish R&S 6 by the end of 8th, so you can count back from there, using what is sold with each guide (based on each child's individual placement) as a guideline. Another option (which I'd recommend) is that you can find placement tests online (Milestone Books).

Blessings as you consider your options! I'm sure Carrie or her sister and editor, Julie (my3sons) will chime in at some point, too.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics