How to move forward with a young advanced reader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
CookFamilyHomeschool

How to move forward with a young advanced reader?

Post by CookFamilyHomeschool » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:57 am

Looking for advice for how to move forward with my 6 year old daughter who is a very advanced reader!

I did a very simple phonics intro program with her when she was 5 but she basically taught her self how to read somehow. Way before we were done with phonics she was reading everything in sight. Somehow she just caught on! It was amazing! But I feel a little stuck on what to do with her now :)

Part of my dilemma as well is that her brother just 18 months older than her was struggling to read. He is now doing much better and is doing the emerging readers (He is really enjoying Frog and Toad right now!) I don’t want him to be discouraged by how much easier it is for his little sister to read than it is for him. But I don’t want to hold her back.

She is almost finished with the K readers from Christian Liberty Press that I have used with all my kids, but it is way too easy and I think she is bored with it. I haven’t really been doing the worksheets with her because it feels like busy work. She does well with the copy work and spelling in Beyond (and so does her brother).

So my question is, should I have her do the emerging readers? The other day she sat down and read the entire book of Amelia Badelia to her younger siblings out loud! That book comes after Frog and Toad which is where her brother is in the ERs. I know she is comprehending what she reads too. (Also, she reads out loud in family devotions strait from the Bible no problem!) Should I start her later on in the ERs? Or should I choose other books of the similar reading level so her brother doesn’t feel like she is ahead, because they are different books? Maybe I am borrowing trouble and it wouldn’t bother him at all. They are really sweet to each other!

I also wondered about going ahead with the level 2 book pack from DITHOR with her, but just have her read them to me out loud and not the DITHOR lessons. Then when my son finishes the ERs I can start them both into DITHOR at once (Their older brothers are already doing it).

I still struggle with the fact that I feel like she didn’t get a complete phonics instruction, but she reads so well, it seems silly to do anymore. Plus doing the spelling lists kind of re-covers some of the phonics. Is it ok not to carry phonics on into 2nd grade? Or would a study of more advanced phonics concepts be helpful? Maybe a combination of level 2 DITHOR and Phonics every other day or something like that? In the past I have used Christian Liberty Press Adventures in Phonics workbooks for my older boys when I felt like they needed to solidify concepts, but I don’t know if that is necessary for her. She is so young and doesn’t have a super long attention span yet and the length of our school day with Beyond is being just right for her right now. I do feel like she would benefit from longer reading sessions with me as she only wants to read a couple pages in her reader and then she is done. But I have wondered if that is because it feels too easy.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone here might have for this situation. Every child is so unique in their reading journey! It is truly a privilege to have the front row seat as those light bulbs go off in their minds!
Bethany
Married to my best friend & Mommy to 8 happy kiddos!
Caleb 13 - Rev2Rev
Walter 11.5 - Preparing with Extensions
Josiah 10 - Bigger
Johannah 8 - Bigger
Joseph 6.5 - LHFHG
Hattie 5 - LHFHG
Wyatt 3.5
John 18 months

Rice

Re: How to move forward with a young advanced reader?

Post by Rice » Sun May 01, 2022 8:38 am

Oh, I understand the problem!
My 10yo DS has had struggles due to vision issues and was only part way through the ERs when now-8yo sister was ready to start them. He left the ERs, did Sound Bytes Reading, attempted the ERs again and then started vision therapy (best decision ever) in the time she sped through the ERs (as she had through phonics - taking 88 days to do 100 lessons) and DITHOR Level 2 books. He's now finishing the ERs (with ease, now that he's done vision therapy) and she's on the last DITHOR Level 3 book! Next fall she'll start DITHOR Level 4, while he works on Level 2 over the summer and finishes it next school year. (I also have had them together in Preparing, half speed this year. They'll finish it together at full speed next fall.)

I had the same problem with my older kids (those above are #5 and 6). #1 and 2 had different learning challenges. #3 was advanced - taught himself to read, mature relationally, and advanced academically. When we came to HOD (8 years ago) he placed a guide higher than the oldest and 2 above the second oldest!

We've just had to recognize that they each have different strengths. Where DS with vision issues struggles with reading and little sister excels, he is way more advanced physically (coordination) and has a huge interest in animals and nature. Where my oldest struggled with executive functioning issues and writing (Dysgraphia) he was also a talented artist and my advanced son hates drawing/coloring. I just allow them to move forward where they are ready and don't allow any bullying/disparaging comments about another's skills or lack thereof in any area.

That said, I also like your idea of having her read different books than the ERs. As easy as it is to talk about them having different skills and it not being a problem if one passes the other, you also don't want it to be discouraging for him. That time when one is actually "passing" the other is a sensitive time.

(I personally would not worry about further phonics instruction. There wouldn't be anything wrong with finishing the program you're on, maybe using a timer to get through more than one lesson per day, but I certainly wouldn't worry about another program. Some things don't need to be taught explicitly, and it sounds like she's got a good grasp and is picking it up naturally. IMO, the DITHOR books will be sufficient.)

Blessings as you sort it out. I pray it will all be harder for you to decide on than for them to deal with.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon May 02, 2022 10:44 am

One option for books for her might be to use some of the supplemental books and then DITHOR 2 and 3. When she gets done with 3, if she is still young, maybe use some of the storytime books from Beyond for her for DITHOR. Although all of the DITHOR books are amazing, they do increase in maturity and length! So storytime books from Beyond (and then Bigger) might be great options to "fill in the gaps" as she will basically skip the ER books!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

CookFamilyHomeschool

Post by CookFamilyHomeschool » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:19 am

Thank you ladies!

I liked the timer idea! We used that and successfully finished up my daughter's last phonics reader this last month! I decided to have her read a few of the supplemental titles at the end of the ERs first picking some that looked particularly interesting like "Keep the Lights Burning Abbie" and "Josefina's story quilt". I will keep having her read a few more of those and then start her on the DITHOR level 2 books minus the workbook. My hope is that by the time they start Bigger Hearts in January that her brother will be through the ERs and they can start DITHOR more fully with him on level 2 and her on level 3. I think it will be fun to have all 4 bigger kids working through DITHOR books together! My older 2 really enjoy it! Also, thanks for the suggestion of looking at the story time books as possibilities for DITHOR reading. That is a good idea!

It has been an interesting situation to navigate, but really, its probably more in my head than anything. The two of them have such a sweet relationship that I know it will all work out just fine. (The other day he asked her to read his word problems to him from his math book which she sweetly did :) I think they will help each other out through the years :)
Bethany
Married to my best friend & Mommy to 8 happy kiddos!
Caleb 13 - Rev2Rev
Walter 11.5 - Preparing with Extensions
Josiah 10 - Bigger
Johannah 8 - Bigger
Joseph 6.5 - LHFHG
Hattie 5 - LHFHG
Wyatt 3.5
John 18 months