Heart of Reading Placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ruralmama

Heart of Reading Placement

Post by Ruralmama » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:38 am

Would you put a 9 yr old 4th grade girl in level 2/3 or 4/5? She reads well, but I don't want reading to be hard or too time consuming. She is reading Stormy Misty`s Foal for fun now, but its slow and she doesn't choose to read unless she is holding her baby brother;) We have 5 now so I am spread pretty thin too. Any thoughts are appreciated.

StephanieU

Re: Heart of Reading Placement

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:57 am

I would do the 2/3 workbook. I don't start 4/5 until at least CtC.

As for bookpack, Stormy is in the 4/5G book pack. It is a reading level 5.2, and more than half of the 4/5G books are easier reading level. So if she is doing okay with Stormy, I would do the 4/5G pack. (If you are ordering from HOD, check out the substitution policy. You could sub A Little Princess or Gentle Ben and Toothpaste Millionare for it.)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Re: Heart of Reading Placement

Post by Rice » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:23 pm

Also remember that, if doing the workbooks, then the books they read are not supposed to be at their instructional level where significant mental energy goes into decoding and comprehension. Instead, choose a book pack that is slightly easy for her to read, so that she has more mental energy to put towards the literature analysis and Christian character portion of that subject.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics