Can a gifted 12 year old handle WG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhome

Can a gifted 12 year old handle WG

Post by happyhome » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:46 pm

Can a gifted 12 year old do world geography? Looking to next year, daughter will be 12 turning 13 in the spring( she is currently 11). We have not been using HOD but a mix of many classical and CM material. She has finished Rod and Staff level 6 this month and is asking to go on to 7 b/c she loves English. She is also doing master books 8th grade math- she has started doing it on Saturday and Sunday mornings because she wants to go on to algebra. She does a writing class,in depth chapter Bible study, CM history, high school level Spanish, a general science class, Awana verse memorization, piano, and spelling/copywork. All of this she finishes completely independently- every single day- by 9 am! The remainder of the day she reads- generally 2-3 chapter books- things like Little Women or Where the Mountain Meets the Moon- all in one day. Then she is onto sewing, knitting, crafting, going for walks, talking with friends, doing evening activities. She loves horse back riding. All this to say she is very balanced, but just rather bored even with advanced work. Her goal to to be a missionary to a south American country- she just read Kisses from Katie and wants to read any and every book she can get her hands on about missionaries. That is why I was thinking WG might be a good fit. That way I could also continue to have her work along side her brother who is an average learner and going to be 15. I did look at the placement charts and she has mastered the basic skills needed- I almost am more concerned about my son's ability to truly think through material! They are used to doing school together and are truly never competitive. If we did WG as slowly as needed would it still be too much for her?

StephanieU

Re: Can a gifted 12 year old handle WG

Post by StephanieU » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:31 am

My oldest started WG at 13. I will say the workload is a lot! I don't think it is necessarily going to be too difficult, except maybe logic and/or literature. Devotional probably would not necessarily be appropriate either for a 12. So I definely wouldn't expect the full guide at full speed at 12.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)