Revival to Revolution: Exploration Education-Need clarificaiton

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
BethM.

Revival to Revolution: Exploration Education-Need clarificaiton

Post by BethM. » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:09 am

Hi,
I have a 7th grader in Revival to Revolution right now, and I have a question about the exams. I see that 7th graders are not scheduled to take the exams. I am concerned that my son isn't memorizing or retaining the vocabulary definitions or formulas. Is this just an opportunity for 7th graders to get their feet wet, so to speak, in physical science? Is memorizing and internalizing the terms not important at this time, or why do they not have to take the exams? Will this type of material be revisited in highschool? Thanks for your help

StephanieU

Re: Revival to Revolution: Exploration Education-Need clarificaiton

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm

I have one in Rev2Rev and one in WG currently. In WG, they get physical science again. Carrie still does not focus on memorization, but they do have a lot of written work as well as labs in the integrated physics and chemistry course. My kids do complete the vocabulary and review quizzes for EE, but it is open book.

As for memorizing things, do you have all of that still memorized? I did amazing in science in high school (honors/AP and always made an A). My college major involved applied physics. And honestly, I don't remember that much. I could memorize things for exams, but it didn't mean I kept them in my long term memory. So, I am not worried that my kids aren't having to take tests at this age. I know some of the science curriculum used in high school will include tests. And my kids have done other studying, for things like Bible quizzing, so they are learning to study outside of school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

BethM.

Re: Revival to Revolution: Exploration Education-Need clarificaiton

Post by BethM. » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:04 pm

Thanks for the advice! And no! I do not remember what I had to memorize in Phys Sci. I hated it! :lol: I just try to veil my disdain for this subject from my son! :lol: (Language girl here!)