Annotation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LovingJesus

Annotation

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:30 am

I am looking at the samples of WG and US History I on-line. I noticed that the annotation is recommended with a highlighter or sticky notes. I have a few questions:

1. How do you re-use the books with younger children once they are annotated if the highlighter is used? Or, do you re-purchase the books the next time so younger children have their own copies?

2. Do the sticky notes work as well as highlighting?

3. Do the sticky notes work better for teens who would be uncomfortable writing in a book?

We’ve already had our box day for LHTH and MTMM, and I’m having a wonderful time setting them up! :D Everything is so well organized and laid out; it is simply fabulous and easy to do. Thank you! :D

daybreaking

Re: Annotation

Post by daybreaking » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:51 am

We aren't in the financial position to purchase a second copy of the books, so we chose not to have our son annotate directly in the books to allow them to be re-used with our younger daughter. I think sticky notes work well, as the child is still interacting with the text and still has notes of his thoughts as he read. We, as teachers, can also view those thoughts. I've always been one that finds it hard to write in books, so sticky notes are a nice alternative. :)

My father used to write in books all the time and now that he is gone, I treasure his thoughts. I probably should give up my perfectionism and start annotating some of mine! :)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

LovingJesus

Re: Annotation

Post by LovingJesus » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:53 am

Thank you daybreak!

It’s helpful to know that sticky notes would work just fine. We can’t financially afford to re-purchase books either (unless they are consumable and need to). I would think a clean copy would help younger children later on.

Thank you! :D