Placement for my 13yo (7th grade) struggling reader/speller

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MamaP3

Placement for my 13yo (7th grade) struggling reader/speller

Post by MamaP3 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:54 pm

I have been digging through all the previous posts about this subject, but I haven't really found anyone that describes a situation very similar to ours...so here I am. I am hoping those of you who have used this curriculum or may have had similar situations can give me some advice or tell me to chill out and stop doubting!
The past few years we have done most of our subjects together, except for those that are grade specific. We have loved our time together and I do really enjoy creating our own plans and trying different resources. As my oldest is creeping closer and closer to high school I would feel more comfortable taking some pressure off of myself and use someone else's well thought out plans. A friend of mine suggested Heart of Dakota and it felt like an answer to my prayers. I love how Carrie has used different resources, many which have caught my eye while browsing different options. I think that will keep me from being swayed by the "look new curriculum" bug, as I have far too often! The fact that Biblical history is woven into "regular" history brings tears to my eyes. I never learned history this way so I am very excited to make these history connections with my boys.

Looking at the placement chart, I have placed my youngest in Little Hands to Heaven. He is four, but will turn 5 in October.

My middle son places perfectly in Preparing. He is 10 and starting 4th grade.

My oldest son is where I'm having difficulty with placement. He just turned 13 this week and will be starting 7th grade. He struggles with reading and spelling. He shows definite signs of dyslexia, but I haven't officially had him tested. My husband is dyslexic and was diagnosed in school.
Looking at the placement chart:
- He places in CTC except for reading and dictation/spelling.
-He does well writing and can write longer narration passages as well as some creative writing. The biggest issue with writing is his spelling.
-We have switched math curriculum several times, but we have been using Life of Fred for a few years now. My boys love it, which is wonderful, but I am noticing gaps as I look ahead to the next several years of math. I switched to Singapore towards the end of this past year to try and fill gaps. We are a little behind since fractions haven't been covered yet in LOF, but he is good at math so I think we will catch up quickly. I am wanting to start Principles of Mathematics this year if possible.
-We are involved in AWANA so we will be using that as well for Bible plans.
-He loves science. My husband is an engineer and all three boys seem to have his knack for thinking outside the box and being creative in their problem solving.
-He loves history.
Since reading is so crucial I am beginning to panic about him slipping behind. He is so smart and comprehends very well when I read aloud. He gives great oral narrations. His brain is just wired differently and he struggles greatly with remembering the letter teams and alllllll the phonics rules. (English really is so aggravating!)
Taking the reading struggles into consideration, he places more comfortably in Preparing. With his age and grade factored in he does not.
I thought I had everything figured out and had a plan for the year, but doubt has been creeping in all summer.
I had planned on having him join my 10 yo in Preparing and focus on improving his reading. Earlier this summer I was concerned it wasn't enough so I purchased the extension package for him, but those are too difficult for him to read on his own. I am at a loss about what to do. Content wise, he can comprehend and do well "at grade level". His reading and spelling struggles make it difficult to know what route to take with him.
I am very frustrated with myself because I believe I have failed him. He is my oldest so he will suffer the most from my indecisiveness. I shouldn't have switched curriculum so many times and I should have been doing something more as far as remedial reading lessons. I can't change that now though so I am trying to do everything I can to get us on the right track now. My fear stems from looking ahead to high school and wondering about being able to earn the credits needed. I am also so sad he will not have the opportunity to use all the plans Carrie has put together.
I know every child is different so it may not be likely that what has worked for some will work for us, but I am willing to hear suggestions.

Thank you for reading this long, rambling post.
Megan

StephanieU

Re: Placement for my 13yo (7th grade) struggling reader/speller

Post by StephanieU » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:26 pm

Audiobooks might be a good option, of it is only reading/spelling that is keeping him back. Some books you can find as audio books, but many sadly aren't available. BUT, you could record yourself reading the books and then have him listen to them doing the guide basically as written. I did this for my son in CtC, as reading isn't good strength. His reading has improved, so he isn't needing it this year in RtR.

For the spelling, definely let him type good narrations. I started having my oldest type hers with WG, and now my middle two have chosen to type theirs as well. Typing makes quick editing much faster and easier, resulting in a more readable narration for my kids.

Finally, I highly recommend calling HOD and discussing placement with Julie (the editor of the guides and the author's sister). Julie knows the guides very well, and she can talk through all of the possibilities with you!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)