DITHOR questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kyleefeagan

DITHOR questions

Post by kyleefeagan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:21 pm

We did some of DITHOR last year, so I am familiar and understand the day-to-day. We enjoyed it! My daughter is starting Preparing for "4th grade" and I got the 4/5 book pack to use this year. My question is more of how to fit/plan long-term. If she will use a book pack for 2 guides from now on, will she not get to the 7/8 book pack, and only get to half of the 6/7 book pack? I know I can choose my own books, which I thought is maybe how I should look at it, and not get caught up in "not getting to all the books". I thought I could pick and choose from 6/7 & 7/8 to make one set for her last 2 years before high school.

(if we continued from where we are starting now) (if I have her just doing portions of book packs)

Preparing: 4/5 + student book 4/5 or Preparing: 4/5 + student book 4/5
CTC: 4/5 + student book 4/5 CTC: 5/6 + student book 4/5
Res-Ref: 5/6 + student book 6/7/8 Res-Ref: 5/6 + student book 6/7/8
Rev-Rev: 5/6 + student book 6/7/8 Rev-Rev: 6/7 + student book 6/7/8
MTMM: 6/7 + student book 6/7/8 MTMM: 7/8 + student book 6/7/8

For the student books, will she start the 6/7/8 for MTMM for the second time and only get halfway through once she finished that guide? Will she be doing the same book projects that year also, since it will be repeating the 6/7/8? I guess I could have her do one of the other projects though...but if not, would that be correct? I tend to overthink things, but I just want to be on the right track!

Thank you,
Kylee

Rice

Re: DITHOR questions

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:44 pm

You can skip a book pack (eg go from 4/5 to 6/7), or you can have them do half the genres in school and finish the rest of the books as free reads or scheduled books over the summer.

The first year you use the 4/5 workbook you do 4 or 5 genres (any ones you wish) and the second year you do the genres you missed, regardless of which book pack (the same one or another) that you use books from. Same with 6/7/8 - half the genres in Rev2Rev and the other half in MTMM. Every second year is slightly shorter, with 7 units of the guide not occupied by DITHOR.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics