High School Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Hallmomma

High School Science

Post by Hallmomma » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 am

My son is going to be doing World Geography for his first year of high school. The only things I haven't ordered yet are the science and writing. I'm a little confused as to why Integrated Chemistry and Physics is used instead of something like General Science or Biology during 9th grade. Especially when chemistry will be scheduled again in the third year of high school. In general, the science choices seem odd. I would've expected, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and then something else. Note. We went away from HOD last year and did not use MTMM. Also, my son has struggled in math. He's done some pre-algebra but is not confident with fractions and equations. He will be doing No Nonsense Algebra this year.
I'm also unsure about the use of Essentials in Writing Grade 10. We have used heart of dakota a lot however, our writing instruction has been very inconsistent and I think this could be too much for my son. He doesn't really enjoy writing at all and has always struggled with content. He tends to be the less is more kind of mindset. Written narrations, etc. have never been great either. We use Fix it Grammar and have always done well with that. We also do other things for literature.
Help and guidance would be appreciated.

Rice

Re: High School Science

Post by Rice » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:21 am

My older kids were not STEM bound and we did IPC as written, but added the quizzes and tests back in for 2 credits (as per publisher's recommendations). It was a LOT (1hr+/day). But, this meant they did not need a full credit of science in 12th.

My next guy I am considering doing just the Physics portions of IPC for an Intro to Physics credit (with the quizzes and tests), leaving a full chemistry for later.

As for writing, EIW was great for my kids. They appreciated the videos (though they watched them at 1.5-2x speed because he speaks so slowly :lol: ). They found it manageable, though none of them are prolific writers, nor find it enjoyable. We used both years (10 in WG, 11 in WH) and it was good to have that consistency for formal essay writing. I'll definitely be using it again. You could always choose to slow it down a bit and complete closer to 75% of the text in a year.

Blessings as you decide,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:33 am

IPC is a standard 9th grade course in some states. Some states list physical science as the standard 9th grade course. And in some states, neither IPC not physical science is taken by many students.

IPC and physical science are very similar courses, and colleges will accept them interchangably. If your child is STEM oriented and needs 4 years of science without physical science/IPC, then that would be the only time I would personally think doing something else is wise. But even then, you could likely double up later on...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Hallmomma,

I recal having that initial curiosity about why not the standard Biology-Chemistry-Physics route, especially since we grew up with those offerings. However, I read a couple things that changed my thinking. The first was a newsletter article by Novare (a rigorous classical education company) entitled “Sequencing the Upper School Science and Math Curriculum” [you can Google it if interested in reading] and the second was Carrie’s own thinking that she gave in the WG guide sneak peeks. You can read the second here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12932

Basically, it comes down to offering an introductory course that will lay foundations before diving into the headier material, as well as offering a physics course that ALL students can take and handle given their current math levels. The previous route of B-C-P often made upper level physics unattainable for many students based on their math levels. Nonetheless, I do think that if your student is planning to go into a STEM field, there may be an adjustment needed; or simply use senior year for a solid physics course instead of the astronomy/archaeology that HOD offers.

From an anecdotal perspective, while I was a bit unsure as to how ICP was going to go, we’re now 4 weeks into it and my non-science-loving 14yo son has discovered he really enjoys it after all! The material is straight-forward and yet very engaging; he’s regaled us at the lunch table multiple times with things he’s been learning! The labs thus far are solid and yet very doable, which makes that aspect much more enjoyable, as well.

As far as the EIW writing program goes, have you looked at their video samples on their website? For a struggling writer, having instruction that lays things out very clearly and in small bites may be what would be most helpful to him. Also, perhaps removing the teaching aspect from mom and giving it to the video teacher may be a relief as well? Just some thoughts to consider…

Best wishes for a great school year!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 am

I was reading the sneak peak thread from years ago for US History I this week to learn more about it, and I think the science part of the thread might really help you to read:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16078

I think the gift of Carrie’s science plan is that our children who are less inclined to want to take Physics in High school don’t have to take it since the WG course covers an intro to physics. In addition, the science sequence still leaves room for an AP Biology or AP Chemistry or Physics course in 12th, if desired. If our children aren’t wanting or needing an AP science course or physics in High School than US History II has a science plan that looks wonderful and interesting and God honoring! :D

If college entrance is your concern, most colleges require 3+ years of science with 2 years of it being lab science (even very rigorous colleges). If High School graduation is your concern most states require 2 years of lab science to graduate. Carrie’s plan goes far beyond both of these requirements with 4 years of lab science.

If you wanted to though, you could do the biology and health science from WH with the Geography. You might want to call and find out how it would impact the timing of the guide.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the ease of use of EIW and the help it offers for your son’s writing.

I hope the LORD will lead you in all of your decisions.

Blessings,