Calculator for Algebra 1

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mama4z

Calculator for Algebra 1

Post by mama4z » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:19 pm

I have been reviewing the Foerster Algebra 1 textbook and can't determine if a specific calculator is necessary. We have a scientific calculator we used sparingly with Principles of Math. Will that do? Or would a specific graphing calculator be a good idea? Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

daybreaking

Re: Calculator for Algebra 1

Post by daybreaking » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 pm

A scientific calculator would be fine for Algebra 1. (We didn't start using a graphing calculator until Pre-Calculus.)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:29 pm

I haven't used Foersters, but what I know if it, a graphing calculator would not be necessary. The book was originally printed long before graphing calculator.

I do highly recommend getting a two line display scientific calculator, if you don't have one already. My personal favorite is the TI 30x iiS. It is very nice to be able to see what you have typed in. And the TI 30x iiS functions much like the graphing calculator (TI 84 and similar), so the transition is easy.

(I teach college math at the local community college.)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mama4z

Post by mama4z » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:04 pm

Thank you both for your help!