State history

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jcrusch07

State history

Post by jcrusch07 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:07 pm

Hello seasoned homeachoolers :) we are headed in to our 2nd year and are Loving HOD!!! My question is this, my daughter is supposed to have Montana state history either in 5th or 6th grade and I was wondering if you had recommendations for something that would work! What have you all used for specific state history studies? Thanks

Rice

Re: State history

Post by Rice » Thu May 06, 2021 2:27 pm

HOD schedules studying your own state in MTMM. You could check that page of their website for a link to the option they have scheduled.

You could use it early and then either skip it or do another state when you get to that guide.

(I'm Canadian so have no insights into that resource for you, lol.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm

The curriculum HOD uses in MtMM could easily be done in 5th or 6th grades. Depending on what guide you are in at that point, you could either swap it out with another box or just do it on top of the guide. It is only one day per unit, so it isn't a big item. If you have a child in RtR, you could switch it with the art or Shakespeare study for example.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Hope

Post by Hope » Wed May 12, 2021 9:48 pm

My son did the MTMM state study this year, and he really enjoyed it! :D

As Stephanie indicated, it could be swapped out for a once a week box in another guide. The teacher’s schedule that comes with it would make it easy to do. Or, if you prefer and plan on doing MTMM at some point you could order the MTMM TM for the schedule, and then HOD will credit you for the package price (I believe) when you reach MTMM.

The state study was written for 4th - 12th grades by the author so it would be very doable for a fifth or sixth grader.

It depends on your state, but it wasn’t an issue at all for us to wait until 8th grade to do the state study which is completed in 7th grade in our state’s public schools. So another option would be to wait until MTMM to do the study.

:D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Many states look at elementary/middle school state requirements for homeschool students as having to be completed by 8th grade. So, as mentioned already, you could probably just wait until 8th grade to do the state study. Or, if you want/need to do it sooner, you could easily do that too! Here is a link to the state study HOD uses:

https://www.statehistory.net/

This link further explains what you'd need to order:
https://www.statehistory.net/shop/index ... Path=96_93

We just finished our SD State Study with MTMM for 8th grade with our son and loved it! Hope you enjoy your state study too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie