Another "School Year" Started

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Another "School Year" Started

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 05, 2021 12:29 pm

We started school up again after 3 weeks of only doing math and dictation on Monday. I now have four gudies going almost fully!

My oldest is starting WG. We are doing it mostly as written, with three substitutions (math, foreign language, and Bible). Some things she is grumbling about, but so far half speed seems to be easy for her!

My second is continuing in RtR. Like my oldest, he is going it mostly as written with a few substitutions (math, writing, and Bible). Since he is more than half way through, half speed is definitely easy for him!

My third is starting CtC. She has the same substittutions as my second (they are actually doing the same writing to save me some teaching time!). She is loving the independence, but I think it will take her a little to adjust to the geography (which has always been a struggle for her!).

And my youngest is starting LHFHG. We are doing the left page and storytime as written. For the right side, we will be starting TRL by the end of summer it appears. And he is using something else for math and handwriting/FMS, although we do own the R&S workbooks. He just doesn't like them, so I am giving him other options. Since we are planning on LHFHG-Bigger to take at least 3.5 years, he might still do ARFH and the R&S books. He is actually begging for the actual LHFHG portions of the day. He is so sad we are only doing half days this month. I might actually speed him up next week, as he is so eager to do those boxes.

I am sad that this is likely to be our last time through LHFHG! We found HOD almost 8 years ago, when my oldest was ready to start this guide. And we have fallen in love with HOD over the years. It is also a weird feeling to have one starting high school and one starting formal school. It is like the end of an era on two fronts!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Re: Another "School Year" Started

Post by Rice » Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Starting High School and no more preschoolers! Big steps for momma even if no one else recognizes them. Blessings as you walk through this year and cherish these moments in your heart. ❤

Love,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Re: Another "School Year" Started

Post by my3sons » Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 pm

Sounds like you are off to a great start, Stephanie! I'm so glad you have started and are off and running with your guides and your homeschooling! Your kids are doing so well, and you can feel so good about how you manage that all.

I can empathize with the 'end of an era' you are feeling. My middle son, Riley, is now done with high school, and my youngest son is now done with middle school. It feels like the 'end of an era' on two fronts for me too. I am feeling both sad and happy about Riley completing high school and starting college. He has been a joy to homeschool, and I will miss that connection with him so much! Yet, I am so proud of him and happy for him to begin online college with LU, joining his older brother, Wyatt.

Likewise, I am both sad and happy about Emmett completing middle school and starting high school. He's my baby, and he's 6 feet tall. Crazy he is as old as he is! He is ready for high school, but I'm not sure I'm so ready for my youngest to be in high school. I also turn 50 years old this year, another milestone. I know there will come a day when I will be ready for the next stage in my life that will not include homeschooling my own children anymore, but I'm not ready right now. It is a huge part of my life that brings as much joy as it does busyness! My motto is to "finish strong"! Four more years to the finish line. Looking forward to the last leg and trying to cherish every moment!

Praying you have a wonderful homeschool year, Stephanie! Thanks for posting!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie