Help with finding an older post

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sweetsimplelife

Help with finding an older post

Post by sweetsimplelife » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:06 am

Hi! I am having trouble finding an older post. I have searched for it, and can't seem to find it. I can't remember if it was Carrie or Julie's advice, but it was about how to let your kids be done with school when everything is checked off and not adding things after that. It especially spoke to why that is good for boys. Anyone remember this one and can point me to it quickly?

Thanks,
Christy :)

sweetsimplelife

Re: Help with finding an older post

Post by sweetsimplelife » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am

Never mind, I found it. :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17500&p=121213&hili ... gs#p121213

I have high school children now, and needed the reminder today. ;)

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Thanks for (re)sharing this. Great read and so much detail!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:04 pm

This was such a great past post - a good reminder that when our children finish their homeschooling, free time is a reward they have earned! That's pretty motivating!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:34 pm

I am so glad that you found this post helpful! :D I know my boys continue to be grateful that I have broken the habit of "adding on" more. We do what is in the Heart of Dakota guide each day, and then we're done! :D In this way, we all know what the goal is for the day (without me moving the goalpost). :wink:

As we are on the verge of graduating our third son, I would say that the rewards of a literature-based education continue to show themselves. :D Our third son has grown so much these last years in his writing skills, in his ability to narrate and discuss, in his character that has been tested through lengthy illness, and in his quiet abiding faith.

While still on a journey much like Christian in Pilgrim's Progress, each of our four boys have come so far! :D In light of the current political and religious climate in our nation, my husband and I feel blessed by the books and Scriptures :D our boys have read and hidden away inside themselves. As our oldest son prepares to get married on June 11, we are thankful for the opportunity we have had to mentor him, are profoundly grateful to see him keep and strengthen his faith, are blessed to see him continue to pour time into mentoring his own brothers, and are so glad to see him now take wings and fly!

Blessings,
Carrie