Subjects Covered

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
4Boys4God

Subjects Covered

Post by 4Boys4God » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Good Evening! I'm planning on using Preparing Hearts for His Glory this upcoming fall, and I'm wondering if it will cover all the subjects my state requires. We're in Minnesota, and we're required to teach reading, writing, literature, history, geography, government, citizenship, economics, science, math, art, health, and physical education. I tried to find the answer to this in the website and FAQ's, but I couldn't get a definite answer. It would be great to know beforehand which subjects I would need to supplement with other curricula. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my question! I really appreciate it!! :D

The2youngs

Re: Subjects Covered

Post by The2youngs » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:01 pm

Are you required to cover ALL of those subjects EVERY year? That seems like a lot!

Using Preparing as-is would specifically cover:

~ reading (using DITHOR),
~ writing (weekly poetry writing assignments plus written narrations),
~ literature (storytime + independent history study),
~ history (reading about history, projects, and research/timeline),
~ geography (map & globe work),
~ science (assigned science readings + lab/notebook work),
~ math (Singapore is scheduled; or use the curriculum you prefer),
~ art (primarily through history projects).

Of your list, government, citizenship, economics, health, and PE could be potentially "lacking". However, citizenship could even be considered accomplished since DITHOR talks so much about character, and Carrie often includes discussion questions that ask specifically about characters you're reading about in the books. Plus, from a biblical perspective, the Bible Study portion is definitely a help in good citizenship! :-) Health and PE could be covered simply by normal family discussion of hygiene and nutrition and daily outside play time.

I'm sure others will chime in if there are things I'm missing that would also be of help to you! We're using Preparing with our last-born this next year and she is SO excited for it! :-) We'll enjoy the journey with your family!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

4Boys4God

Post by 4Boys4God » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:58 pm

Wow, thanks! This is super helpful! And, yes, it seems that I would need to somehow cover all these subjects in order to fully follow the law. All of these subjects are required, and HSLDA states that: "While there is no specific requirement in Minnesota law for how often each of the subjects must be taught or at what grade levels, HSLDA’s general recommendation is that each of the required subjects be taught at an age-appropriate level every year during the elementary and middle school years, and at least once in high school." So, I'm trying to figure out how to be above-board, but not overwhelm my kids (or myself) with all of these subjects. Thanks again for your help! :D

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:55 am

I agree that Preparing definely covers all but government, economics, health, and PE explicitly. Government and economics I think are mentioned some in history, and they are explicitly covered in Rev2Rev and MtMM. If you want to make sure you check all of the boxes, you could spend a day going over your state and the federal government. We do this as we pray for different leaders a couple of times a year (not part of school). Economics you could talk about savings, giving, taxes, etc in life.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

4Boys4God

Post by 4Boys4God » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:06 am

Thank you! I'm getting a better idea of what I need to do. I'm thinking that, since Preparing is designed to be done only 4 days a week, I might just spend the 5th day of the week going over the extra subjects that need to be covered. Thanks again!! :-D

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:05 am

Hi!

We are in a state with the same list of subjects. We have now been homeschooling for 12 years.

My understanding of the list of subjects with our state law, that looks similar to MN, is that they need to be covered over the course of their education. Economics and government are usually taught in High School, but both are introduced in Rev2Rev and MTMM. Economics, in particular, would be beyond most - if not all - elementary students. The government basics though could be introduced to younger children.

I would encourage you not to pressure yourself too much. Homeschooling is a rich education that builds over years, and by the end of High School they more than meet the list of subjects for any state.

Blessings,

4Boys4God

Post by 4Boys4God » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:44 am

Thank you so much! This makes me feel better. I really appreciate you taking the time to reassure me that it's all going to be o.k. :D