Placement? What to do if misplaced in Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kpdiz

Placement? What to do if misplaced in Bigger?

Post by kpdiz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm

Hello! I’m hoping to get help with a placement question. Hopefully Carrie or Julie will be able to chime in here, I’d love to know what they think! We are new to homeschooling this year after being at a STEM charter school. Homeschooling was something the Lord was already nudging me toward and covid pushed us over the edge :D I have a 9.5 yo dd (4th grade), a 7.5 yo ds (2nd grade), and a 15mo dd. Based on the placement chart and what had been covered at their old school, I placed my dd in Bigger and my ds in Beyond. Dd is doing DITHOR ⅘ and Singapore math 3B and DS is doing DITHOR ⅔ and Singapore math 2B. My son is well placed, but as the year has progressed, I feel my daughter is not. (We have completed 16 units in each guide.) When we started the year, she had not done any history, grammar or cursive, and because the switch to homeschooling was a big change and she tends to fear change and be overwhelmed easily, I felt Bigger was the right choice. I think it was a great place to start, but now most of her work just seems too easy. We are doing dictation and she never makes a mistake, she flies through Rod and Staff, and narrates very well. I would like to see her doing more writing and just generally being challenged a bit more. DITHOR and math are just right, they are challenging at times but not overly so. She is definitely capable of working independently and I already have her do that when possible. Is it a bad idea to switch to Preparing now? Or finish Bigger and skip to CTC in the fall? I looked at the extensions for Bigger, but it looks like more reading. I’m also concerned that she’s a year "behind" and wouldn’t be able to complete all of the high school guides unless we skip something at some point. What do other people do in that situation?

Thanks for the help!
Karissa

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Placement? What to do if misplaced in Bigger?

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:40 pm

Hello,

We are glad to have you here! :D It sounds like you are off to a good start with your kiddos and are enjoying school. It can take some fine-tuning when first placing your kiddos in HOD. In thinking about your options, the jump from Bigger Hearts to CTC is really large skill-wise and independence-wise too. It would be better for your daughter to have Preparing Hearts in between. :D

When kiddos are coming to HOD from a school setting it can take time to find the right guide placement - as it takes a bit to see what each child can truly do. Some kiddos can really take off and need a new look at placement. That sounds like what has happened with your daughter.

Based on what you've shared thus far, I would lean toward having her begin Preparing Hearts after your next scheduled break. Taking into account her age, her skills, her move toward independence, along with her spelling/reading/math/English skills, it looks like she would be well-placed in Preparing Hearts. :D I would continue having her do her cursive workbook each day from Bigger Hearts to learn cursive handwriting. Just do a page a day until she is done.

Depending on what level of Rod and Staff she is doing, she may or may not need a change there. We can gladly help you talk through that too. :D What level of Rod and Staff English are you using with your daughter?

As far as dictation goes, you may have a natural speller, so she may not be one to miss many passages even when you go up a guide. Don't get too worried about over-challenging her as far as dictation goes. I had one child who never missed a passage for years. It didn't hurt him at all to do all of the dictation levels. He is a terrific speller and still enjoys writing to this day. :D Dictation was just one of his "easy" subjects, and everyone needs some of those!

If you get a chance, feel free to pop back and share your thoughts! :D The good news is you'll be able to use Bigger Hearts with your son in the not too distant future!

Blessings,
Carrie

kpdiz

Post by kpdiz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi Carrie! Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply, I really appreciate it! My gut was telling me to switch to Preparing soon and it's very encouraging that you agree :) It was definitely challenging to decide on placement when switching from public school, but I feel like we got a great start with Bigger and she's ready to take on a little more.

As far as Rod and Staff, we are using level 2. She had not done any formal grammar in school beyond capital letters, punctation, etc, so I thought it was best to start there and she has done very well with it. Should we just keep going with level 2, or move along at a faster pace to get to level 3 sooner?

Good to know that it's ok for dictation to be her "easy" subject, she'll be glad to hear that :)

Thank you so much for your wonderful guides! I have been so impressed with how thoughtfully the subjects are woven together and I have felt so well equipped to teach my children this year. That's an incredible feeling for a new homeschooler! My kids have both become voracious readers this year, and I believe it is due to the fantastic books you recommend. I have to start hiding the DITHOR books when I pick them up from the library, my son read through his whole stack of mysteries before we even started the unit :)

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:45 am

kpdiz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 pm
As far as Rod and Staff, we are using level 2. She had not done any formal grammar in school beyond capital letters, punctation, etc, so I thought it was best to start there and she has done very well with it. Should we just keep going with level 2, or move along at a faster pace to get to level 3 sooner?
I start R&S 3 in Preparing with no previous formal grammar. (We skip it in Bigger.) It seems to work well, not only for the level at that age, but also moving forward: Level 4 in CTC/RTR (it's a bigger book than the others), and Level 5 in Rev2Rev, leaving Level 6 for MTMM so that it matches to do Level 7 and 8 across the high school years, as Carrie has scheduled.

Welcome to HOD!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! :D I would lean toward beginning Level 3 as scheduled in Preparing Hearts whenever you begin that guide. My oldest son began Rod and Staff English with Level 4 and did great! He did have previous formal grammar instruction, just not to the level of rigor in Rod and Staff. :D Typically, I wouldn't advise skipping ahead a level in either grammar or in guides, but finding the correct placement can sometimes be a bit of a dance and each placement in unique! :D

Blessings,
Carrie