College & Career Planning Curriculum

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Murph

College & Career Planning Curriculum

Post by Murph » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:07 pm

Does HOD have any College & Career Planning integrated into its curriculum? If yes, which teacher's guide has it?

I'm referring to the logistics of preparing for the SAT/ACT tests, career options, when and where to apply for scholarships, military, etc.
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

StephanieU

Re: College & Career Planning Curriculum

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:17 pm

I don't think it is covered. And honestly, it is best for much of that not to be in the guides. First, there are students who aren't college bound or who start with community college (and therefore don't need the tests, etc). Second, testing and scholarships can change dates, and things aren't always the same across the country and around the world. So the guides would have to be constantly updated instead of being almost timeless. Finally, students don't get to a guide at the same age/grade. Some graduate after WH while others finish AH2 at the end of 11th grade. Since scholarships, testing, and military are more related to grade and age, the way HOD is set up doesn't lend itself to those things.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:11 pm

That makes sense. I know Sonlight has an elective for it but I was hoping maybe HOD covered it, or at least has an elective for it.

Thank you for your response. :)
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Murph,

Just a quick thanks for mentioning Sonlight's elective! We're overseas so our only college-prep is going to be next year when we're home on furlough. He'll only be 15, and it'll most likely be the last time he's home until after he graduates at 18. So, anything that can help us to be better prepared for college/career is appreciated! I took a look and it seems like something to consider when we go home next year and begin investigating/visiting schools.

Thankful for this tribe of mamas helping each other out! :)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref