CTC after PHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Momoffab4

CTC after PHFHG?

Post by Momoffab4 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Hi there, I was looking at the content for CTC it looks very similar to PHFHG. Are you supposed to use CTC after Preparing? I guess I’m asking the order of the guides. My son who is 9 and daughter who just turned 12 are both in Preparing with extensions for the daughter. They are loving it! I was just nervous if it’s to repetitive for the 12 year old CTC it may bore her next year. Or is it completely different and just sounds alike?
We are actually a little behind for this year in Preparing due to ongoing illness so I have to do half speed weeks at a time but when we are ready I want to make sure I have them in the right place.

Thank you!!

Rice

Re: CTC after PHFHG?

Post by Rice » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:51 pm

CTC is amazing. It definitely does come after Preparing, in content and skill.

Preparing literally prepares them for what they will find in the middle school guides. The narrations go from 3-5 sentences to 5-8. The historical content goes way deeper (even when a person may be touched on a gain, they learn more and delve deeper into their life and the historical time period). The literature is more complex, there is a full writing (composition) program, and they are expected to do more independently.

CTC is one of my favourite guides! We just finished our 4th time through it last week! Starting RTR probably next week.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we have!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 pm

I agree with Rice! :-)

Preparing is a one-year overview of world history. After that, world history is again studied chronologically, but spread over four years to allow for much more depth. I believe a combination of the resources used in CTC and the way history is studied in a more detailed manner would prevent any boredom. When we used CTC, my son commented on how much he enjoyed the books that were scheduled. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:38 am

Although the content starts out the same (Creation), it is VERY different. CtC definitely goes more indepth and isn't as centered on just the Biblical history.

(I have done Preparing almost 3 full times (third is on Unit 29). With my second, I read all of the main history books (he isn't a strong reader, so I recorded the audio for CtC to help him).)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:49 am

StephanieU wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:38 am
With my second, I read all of the main history books (he isn't a strong reader, so I recorded the audio for CtC to help him).)
I agree with helping them as much as needed with the first Reading About History book. Unfortunately, one of the hardest Living books for History comes at the beginning of the hostory rotation. Its probably the hardest book in the middle school guides.

I start reading it aloud and transfer independence to them once they are ready. For some that is within a few units; for others it's when they start the second book. They still have the second half of the guide to learn the independence intended in that subject.
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Momoffab4

Post by Momoffab4 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:50 am

Thank you! I feel much better about it:) we are really enjoying Preparing. And I have been so grateful for it. CTC sounds like it will be amazing.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Hope you enjoy CTC as much as we did! Here are a few posts that might be of interest:

Getting Ready for CTC:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/vie ... =6&t=12245

Setting Up for CTC:
https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2019 ... to-christ/

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Oh ladies! :D Your posts about CTC warmed my heart!

We loved CTC here too. I even had my oldest son do much of the history in CTC with extensions as an 8th grader (as I was planning and writing CTC), because I felt he had previously missed out on the wonderful, in-depth biblical content in the guide. Being my first-born, he didn't get to use our HOD guides as written, because they weren't written yet! :D We had some great discussions. I was always glad my next three got to use CTC as written.

Blessings,
Carrie

Momoffab4

Post by Momoffab4 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:23 am

Well I’m back with more questions! Lol.

Ok, so I have decided that although running two guides seems like a lot I think my kiddos need to have some separation. With that said we did not finish preparing and are breaking right now as we are moving....finally.
My question is Should I keep my little guy in preparing he is 9 soon to be 10. He did well in preparing and I’m wondering if he would do well to move onto CTC. He does not love writing, reading or drawing lol. But he did well with the dictations etc. My original plan was to pick up in preparing with him and start my daughter in CTC she is 12. But I’m wondering should I start him in CTC and her in RTR. Because of my nature it drives me nuts to skip over CTC for her but it’s driving me nuts to see if we follow the path she won’t “finish” through all the guides and I feel like she is behind. Although she is more. 6/7th grader not a strong 7th.
Our school path has been a combo of public and homeschool so I always have the “are you in track” voice in my head lol.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

And I do want to say that, this year was challenge not only because of COVID and looking to relocate for months but also because I suffered complications from an autoimmune disease. This year would not have been the success it was without HOD. I finally took the leap to bring my son home from public school because of COVID. He is on the autism spectrum so I had been hesitant but this year was so rewarding. I am grateful!

😊

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu May 20, 2021 11:21 am

The biggest question to consider when deciding if you should skip a guide, is whether or not she has the skills to do so. Can she already write narrations as directed in CTC (5-8 sentences)? Is she ready for significantly more independence?

Personally, I would avoid trying to skip a guide unless the one she is in now is clearly too easy for her. Skipping a guide at the end does not put them at any disadvantage academically, though you may want to check it out for any electives you want her to have, as you get closer to Graduation. Skipping a guide in the middle can be very challenging, since the skills build on each other from guide to guide, and you would be missing an entire year's growth there. The last couple of middle school guides can easily be used for high school with few changes.

If you can comment more on her skills, and whether you think that she is ready for the expectations in RTR, than I know that Carrie and Julie will have more insight for you.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics