New to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

New to HOD

Post by Mgs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

I am looking for a bible based curriculum for history, geography, and bible. I have my own math & Language arts (actually ordered R&S for 5th grader) & science (berean builders). I love the look of this, but wondering how to start and if it’s worth it if I have my own programs for other things. What would be the benefit to this vs just a reading list that I assign. The reading program (Dithor) didn’t look necessary to me? What would be the benefit to the reading program.

I have a rising 5th grader, 3rd grader, 2nd grader (twin to 3rd grader but a year behind her), K, PK, 2yr old.

I contemplated just doing preparing with 5th grader and allowing the younger siblings to tag along for some things (very loosely- mainly just their own 3rs, lots of books, etc). Maybe waiting until they reach 4th grade to start their own program. I also have thought about doing My Fathers world for all the younger ones.

Looking for suggestions and personal experiences!

Murph

Re: New to HOD

Post by Murph » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:54 pm

Bumping this in hopes someone with more experience than I will answer. :mrgreen:
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 pm

We have used our own math and sometimes something different for writing and Bible, and I have find HOD to still be worth it. We have used it since 2013. My oldest did almost everything in the early guides. But I had to skip some things with my middle two to keep sanity! If it rant for the youngest, I think it would have been doable to do three guides completely, but as in a baby/toddler that was very active, and something has to give. But I think I will be able to do most of the guides with youngest, as my oldest three are so independent!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 pm

We used our own math for the younger and middle guides, and my son has been several levels ahead in English, so we really haven't followed those parts of the guides, but the using the guides for history/Bible/geography (and electives) has been MORE than worth it, in my opinion. With my son, I had hoped to use each guide as written (minus the math and English), but I've had to alter our path due to some life circumstances (being a full-time caregiver for my mom with severe dementia) and my son's unique make-up (highly gifted, with some "Asperger-like" qualities), but even with the adjustments, I have felt that every penny spent on HOD has been worth it. With HOD, you'll also get stellar customer service. Every time I've posted a question on this board or called into HOD, I've always received extremely helpful advice and great support. :D

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Mgs wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm
I love the look of this, but wondering how to start and if it’s worth it if I have my own programs for other things. What would be the benefit to this vs just a reading list that I assign.
Benefits to HOD vs just a reading list:
* daily assignments already made for you, with prompts for questions, narrations, copy work, and other activities already laid out - from Preparing and up increasingly written to the student to teach indepenence in school work and in thought;
* appropriately chosen books and length of readings/work day for the age/stage of a student properly placed in that guide;
* skills gradually, incrementally taught across all areas - no need to remember to fit things in or wondering if you're expecting enough vs too much.
* and most importantly, you won't find a more thoroughly Bible-based, turn-your-children-to-Jesus and God's word curriculum anywhere. :D

As for how to start: place your child (by the sounds of your post, your oldest) by using the placement chart. If Preparing is where he places, skill-wise, then purchase that guide - all packages except for Extensions and any you already have plans for. (And yes, it works to use HOD for all except math, LA and Science. One caution is that HOD includes LA skills in places outside the LA box, so be aware of areas you may be overlapping, and consider cutting out some work so that you aren't making your day too long.) Science in some guides is tied loosely with the History, but it doesn't detract from the History if you use something else, and that and Math are not tied to the other subjects, so they are easy to sub out for a program of your choice.

Once you have everything, read through the first unit of work on your own to get an idea of the workload and how the boxes are written (eg: in Preparing, Science and Independent History Study are written to the student, while the other boxes are written to the parent to teach. This is where the value really shines over a book list - everything is scripted for you to teach, without having to prep ahead of time! And, when ready to start, start slowly! Plan for the first unit (Preparing and up) to take 8 school days, as you get to "meet" the books, the guide, the set-up, etc. Plan for the next couple of units to take 5-6 days each and then gradually to move up to "full speed". If you go faster, that's great, but if you plan this way then you won't feel "behind" right from the start.
t
Mgs wrote:
I have a rising 5th grader, 3rd grader, 2nd grader (twin to 3rd grader but a year behind her), K, PK, 2yr old.

I contemplated just doing preparing with 5th grader and allowing the younger siblings to tag along for some things (very loosely- mainly just their own 3rs, lots of books, etc). Maybe waiting until they reach 4th grade to start their own program.
This is pretty much what I do. My kids start phonics and a formal manuscript or cursive program at age 6, as well as Storytime (mostly using HOD books, but we add some of our own interest in, as well). They start Preparing when they have the skills; usually around 4th. My kids are allowed to tag along with the older ones, but mostly don't, unless something catches their attention (while the older ones often listen in to old favourites :wink: ).
Mgs wrote:

The reading program (Dithor) didn’t look necessary to me? What would be the benefit to the reading program.
IMO, it depends if you think your child still needs a reading program (to challenge their reading level), or if the independent work (in Preparing that is in Science and Independent History Study) is enough for that and you are ready for Literature Analysis.

If you are needing a reading program, my kids love the DITHOR book packs. I pick them at their instructional reading level and they read a chapter per day, narrate, and I aim for them to complete about 3 book projects per year. (This gives them practice planning out a project - where everything else in HOD is planned for them - and gives them more creative license.)

However, if they are reading well and are ready for some Literature Analysis, then I choose books slightly easy for them to read (for mental energy to go into analysis, not merely decoding/comprehension), and they follow the schedule in the guide to complete 4-5 generes per year (in Preparing and up - in Bigger they can complete all 9 genres, as it is scheduled daily).

DITHOR is the only place from Preparing - MTMM where formal lit analysis is taught. (It also has Christian character study as part of it, as well; another benefit.) It is great for preparing them for highschool lit class. However, as a mom of many, I don't find it easy to keep it going for multiple kids, so I have chosen to concentrate on getting them through the program once in full before highschool. My kids read and narrate until Rev2Rev & MTMM, and do all 9 genres once in those two years.

I think that answered the questions you had. Does it create more?? LOL.
Welcome to HOD!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Outstanding help here already! I hope you are getting a chance to read these amazing posts by these wonderful homeschool moms! My personal experience over the past nearly 20 years of using HOD is the open-and-go format of HOD guides makes each homeschooling moment count. There is no wasted time prepping and planning or tweaking. Every book read has a follow-up skill. These skills build incrementally upon one another from guide to guide to gradually improve students in all subject areas. This prepares them for middle school, high school, and whatever is to come after high school.

HOD is so much more than a reading program! Everything is inter-connected, Christ-centered, and memorable. Sure, you can sub in some things and it will be fine! And you should if you own them and are liking using them. But overall, the best homeschool days are had by enjoying my teaching by doing purposeful things planned carefully in advance. This has maximized my time with my children and made each day be another satisfying step forward progressing on this homeschool journey! No matter how much you use of HOD, it will be good. But the more you use of it, the better - for both you and the kiddos. At least, that is my personal opinion and experience!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie