Preparing- deluxe vs. extension

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mbrand

Preparing- deluxe vs. extension

Post by Mbrand » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:48 am

I'm looking into Preparing next year, but have a question about independent reading. The set includes read alouds (basic), younger independent reading (deluxe), and older independent reading (extension). Would an older student read only the books in the extension set or would they also be expected to read the books in the deluxe set? I would have a third and fifth grader, so I would order the deluxe readers, but not sure if they're expected to share them (or the younger will convince the older to read them aloud).

The2youngs

Re: Preparing- deluxe vs. extension

Post by The2youngs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 am

The Extension set is designed to be added in addition to the Self-Study Deluxe History Package, so they would also read the Self-Study books as well. It extends the learning for older students. In the back of the guide, there is a reading schedule for the extensions as well as ideas for narrations, etc. for those books.

With that said, have you checked the placement chart for your younger student to determine if Preparing is best for them? Typically, when combining students, you place the younger and then use extensions for the older. Preparing for 3rd grade can be quite a challenge! Not to say it's not been done before, but simply that if you've not checked the placement chart, it might be good to do so. :-)

Welcome to HOD! We love having new HOD family members! :D
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:07 am

Also note that extensions aren't required for most 5th graders. Unless you oldest child places into RtR or would be 11 when you start, at the most, I would just have that child read the extensions. The deliver Package books go with the independent history box. The drawing book you would definitely want both to do. Some of the others are very different between the two packages, so you would want to do the deluxe book there as well.

And I definely agree with checking the placement chart. Of my three kids that have done (most of) Preparing, only one was ready for it before almost 9yo.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 am

I agree. Placing a student new to HOD in Preparing for 3rd is a lot to expect and I would only do so if your 3rd grader is advanced across all areas: reading, writing, and emotional maturity (for longer days as well as heavier topics, moving forward - Preparing is still gentle but by the middle school guides you're into martyrdom and contemplating the motives for the Reformation, etc.) The placement chart on the website is definitely a good place to start.

While there is an age range, that isn't necessarily who should be doing that guide but more of a range of when most children are ready for those skills: a very few at the youngest age, most in the middle to upper end of the age range, and another group of those who fit best in the Extension range due to LDs or to combining with a sibling.

I know it's strange to contemplate the younger child's placement before the older one, but that truly is best with HOD. Once your younger one is placed where they fit best for the skills they have already acquired, you can then decide if your older one fits there too, with or without Extensions, or if you should place them in their own guide.

If your younger one does indeed place in Preparing, you should be able to have both children do the guide as written - Extensions are not required for 5th; they are intended for 6th or 7th. However, if your 5th grader is a prolific reader, you could make those book available for "Free Reading" or use them as family read-alouds. They are not recommended as a requirement for 5th, but are excellent books.

FWIW, I have found it easier to run more HOD guides with my children placed well for their skills, that it was to try to combine them, and always having to adjust the expectations of the guide to meet their needs and be second guessing whether I was adapting enough or over adapting. I will try again to combine next year when two are ready for Preparing (running multiple guides means they've been doing 3Rs till now), but I do not suspect they will be able to stay together long term and already have plans in place for separating them, if/when needed. (That's not easy, but my lower child in skill - the older one - would go back to 3Rs for a time then back into the guide half speed while the younger moves forward full speed; meaning I'll be reading things double for a while - not ideal, but necessary if I combine two when they shouldn't be.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics