New!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
BethinGA

New!

Post by BethinGA » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi- I’ve used MFW since K for my two children, in the family cycle. I’m discouraged that I can’t continue to teach them together when my oldest begins HS. So, I’m looking into HOD as an alternative.

I would like to use World Geography for my two students, who will be 12 and 14 at the start of the school year, and 13 and 15 by the end. I would like to do many of the readings aloud, either taking turns or with me reading aloud. They’ll do their work independently.

I wonder, has anyone done this with two students together? About how long does it take your student to complete their work each day?

Also, it seems like the students’ work all goes in the same notebook, as in “journal entries“ for each topic of the day, kept in one place? This seems like it would be easier than what we do now, which is a different tabbed section for each topic, kept in one of two binders (history binder and “everything else“ binder). Am I understanding this correctly? If so, I think there might be a lot less shuffling around in our day.

It also seems like the program is written to use all the materials in a very CM way, whereas MFW is a mix of classical and CM, which means I have to tweak our lessons to be more CM. So, I think it might be less “work” for me, and more enjoyable for them. Shorter lessons and a varied day, instead of the same pattern of subjects each day and very long history. Am I correct in this assessment?

We have been using Apologia science and enjoy it. How is this science different? Also, we have not been using any writing program at all, preferring instead to do written narrations. But looks like HOD uses these BJU writing lessons in a CM way, am I right? If so, maybe we can make the transition.

Please share your feedback. I’m very nervous to switch after all these years. But my desire to give my high schooler more togetherness in the midst of this continuing pandemic is giving me quite a push to look around. Thank you!

Rice

Re: New!

Post by Rice » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:40 pm

Welcome! The interesting thing about combining in HOD is that you need to place the younger one for their skill level first, then add the older one, including using the Extensions, as appropriate.

So, based on that, by ages only, I would say, no. Do not place a 12 and 14yos in WG. WG is a VERY heavy year.

I would suggest Revival to Revolution, or at the most Missions to Modern Marvels, IF your 12yo is advanced in both reading and writing.

That said, I know one of your first worries is about high school credit. Rev2Rev and MTMM can both be used for high school credit with just a few modifications. I won't list everything you would need to consider but some ways that I've made Rev2Rev and MTMM work for high school for a couple of my kids:
*adding Extensions for the one using the guide for high school credit (not for the younger one)
*using Rev2Rev's EE science Advanced level. It has 5 days per unit, so my boys just did 2 days of science once per unit to make it fit into 4. (Two of mine did this together. The younger one had the Standard workbook, but usually helped the older one with his extra 2 days of Advanced work each unit!)
*in MTMM pick another high school science. (using WH's Biology here for the older one would allow them to do IPC together in WG the next year; the younger one could use MTMM's science since Biology is workbook-based and independent.) Switching out science to whatever you have been doing is also an option, since science is not connected to the rest of the guide.
*using DITHOR 6/7/8 workbooks and level 7/8 books for 9th grade Literature, then WG's BJU Fundamentals of Literature for the Lit half credit in MTMM.

No matter which guide you choose, you can still do as you planned, doing as much together as you wish. Storytime is an easy one to do aloud, along with the electives (Signers/States/Presidents/Bible Study/Nature Study, etc.). Composition and science are other subjects I have intentionally taught my high schoolers together over the years.

HOD does use written narrations (approx. 2 per unit from Rev2Rev and up, with increasing expectations), but also a formal writing program on top of that. I would encourage use of both. Each year is from a different program (except for 2 years of EIW back to back), to ensure a variety of skills and methods over the years.

I know I haven't answered all your questions, but that's been my experience with using HOD - placement is key, then go from there. Don't choose the guide based on "grade" or topic, but on skills for the younger/least academic child, first. That makes all the difference for success in HOD.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Beth,

Welcome! We are glad to have you here! :D Rice gave some great comments and helpful suggestions for you to ponder. I agree that at HOD when combining kiddos, we start with the younger child's placement first and then add extensions to that program for the older child. In this way, we aren't pulling a child along in a guide that is way too difficult. With that in mind, here is a link to the placement chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Take a look at mainly at the first page of the chart linked above to figure out where your younger child fits best. Then, take a look to see if your older child fits there too. If not, it is possible they may need separate guides. With the closeness of their ages though, it is possible they may fit in a guide together. :D

You are right that our guides lean heavily in the CM direction. :D You will see that reflected throughout our plans. With the CM emphasis in mind, we do plan for the kiddos to be reading their own material as much as possible. This means our guides plan for your children to read their own history and science each day. This shift to reading their own material allows us to keep teaching time for other important interactions like discussing Bible and devotionals, hearing narrations, sharing grammar and writing lessons, and reflecting on what was learned. :D We do rotate through a variety of shorter subjects throughout the day, which keeps the day moving forward in a Charlotte Mason style.

If you are struggling as to where your children fit best, you can gladly give us a call. We would be glad to talk through placement options with you to find the best fit for your family. Otherwise, we can chat on the board instead. :D

Feel free to pop back and share your thoughts when you get a chance! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:06 pm

I'd love to hear where your kiddos place in regard to the placement chart too! WG is definitely a rigorous, high school level guide. If combining is a priority, an earlier guide would be a better fit. Hope you pop back on here to share more about your children with the placement chart in mind!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie