When kids are combined- do you purchase 2 Guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommyofmany

When kids are combined- do you purchase 2 Guides

Post by mommyofmany » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:23 am

When you have 2 kiddos in the same Guide, do you purchase a separate Guide for each to have a place to check off what they’ve done? What has worked for your family? I’m leaning towards waiting until the following school year to start HOD with my girls because I’m planning on starting WH High School with my upcoming 10th grader in August and also just started a new intensive program for my son with Down syndrome. This mama can only handle so many changes at once! :lol: But looking towards the future, I’m wondering what will work best if I have 2 girls in CTC. Do your kiddos argue about having to share books or anything?
Last edited by mommyofmany on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Matthew 14 (Down syndrome & Autism)
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

Rice

Re: When kids are combined- do you purchase 2 Guides

Post by Rice » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 pm

It really depends on their personalities and working situation.

My oldest two ended up in the same guide after really strange circumstances. At first they were in different places, and that guide happened to be one I had in page protectors, so they just took the units they needed. Eventually they were in the same place and I did purchase a second used guide to resell when they were done, along with the independently read books. However, my two were already in Jr/Sr. high (using Rev2Rev) and 1) had very different personalities, including one who lost a book at least once a week on average. Having two sets prevented his lack of executive functioning skills from affecting his sister's ability to complete her work, and even allowed for him to borrow from her a time or two; AND 2) they worked in their own rooms for independent work, on different levels of our home, so separate sets really was easiest.

I'm again in the same situation as you, though, deciding if that will be necessary for the next two, who will be starting Preparing together next fall. I think we'll have a central location for them both to work and keep their books all in one bucket, with each having a desk on either side of that spot. I think that will work best and will allow them to share, at least for one guide. I'm uncertain if I will have to split them after that any way (one is younger but easily ahead of the older in reading skills), so will have to see how things go.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Rice! I can see my older daughter moving slower through guides so maybe they’ll only be sharing for one year anyway. :) I could start out with one and buy an extra if we run into hiccups I suppose.
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm

If you think your girls can move at the same pace fairly consistently, I'd say one guide in a central location could work just fine. My kids use those translucent sticky tabs on each box. When they complete a box, they move the tab to the same box on the next day's page. That way, the sticky tabs always indicate what they've got left to complete. Perhaps different color sticky notes (or check marks or highlights or...) to indicate what each of them have left (or have completed) would be sufficient for them to know where they each are individually.

As for sharing books, I think that could also work in that you could instruct them to alternate individual boxes. Perhaps after you do any combined work all together, one starts on the left page of the day while the other starts on the right. Then they wouldn't have any overlap or pausing/waiting for books. I find that a typed out schedule simply listing the order of boxes I'd like them to work through is helpful also, until they each reach a point of just knowing what to do next. At one point, I found us in the same situation (although not in CTC) and it was extremely helpful to keep everyone on track to have something they could glance at just to know what to do next.

I hope you enjoy CTC! My girlie is really enjoying it this year! The poetry paintings have been a highlight for her! (And something that her younger sister is now very much looking forward to!)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

mommyofmany

Post by mommyofmany » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 pm

The2youngs wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm
I find that a typed out schedule simply listing the order of boxes I'd like them to work through is helpful also, until they each reach a point of just knowing what to do next. At one point, I found us in the same situation (although not in CTC) and it was extremely helpful to keep everyone on track to have something they could glance at just to know what to do next.
This is a great idea that would be especially helpful for my daughter with autism! Thank you!
Blessings,
Emily

Mama to:
Michael 25 College Grad!
Abbey 22 College Grad!
Cole 15
Anna 11 (Autism)
Josie 9
Katie 7