Goals for the Week

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Norrfam0506

Goals for the Week

Post by Norrfam0506 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:13 am

Any goals for the upcoming week? Sometimes, it can be helpful to set small goals each week to help you push through. If nothing else, it’s something good to shoot for and measure progress.

For school, we are shooting to get through a full unit with each kiddo (one in CTC and one in MTMM). I would also like to time my oldest to help give her some goals to push toward. She is my slower worker in general and has ADHD. It can be hard for her to stay on task sometimes.

For me personally, I’m trying to do something active each day. I’ve been battling some health issues over the last year and also just recovered from COVID. I really need to gain some stamina back, so I’m trying to do something small each day (15-30 minutes). If you have any suggestions to make it more fun, I’m all ears.

I’m also wanting to reinvigorate my love of reading. I’m trying to set aside a little time each day to read for fun.

We will also be getting back into routine after being quarantined with COVID. My youngest will be going back to dance this week, so it’s going to be a busy one.
DD13: LHFHG, Beyond, CTC, MTMM
DD11: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC

Rice

Re: Goals for the Week

Post by Rice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi there! I hadn't really thought of setting goals for the week, though I guess we do have some:

School:
*13yo: an HOD Day each day.
*10yo: 4 regular days and a Reboot on Wednesday. I allow my kids to do 3 units as a Reboot around this time of year: they have to read everything, but the only writing they have to do is the Timeline! They love getting ahead of our mental calendar, and I love the boost, too, while knowing they're still getting the content (we're not fully skipping anything). He's my first to request spacing his Reboot units. He has done one, 3 Wednesdays in a row, with another full unit Thurs - Tues between them. (The others have always done 3 back-to-back units.)
*9yo is finishing Sound Bytes tomorrow! He will celebrate with a float when he's done!

non-school
*our 4-H Communications are being done all virtually this year, so their speeches have to be uploaded today. With our internet, that should be interesting. 4 videos to upload before the PS kids get home and slow our internet service.
*I have a reading goal this year, too, of 12 books, but I haven't chosen my first yet. Maybe I could do that this week. :wink:

Thanks for the idea, Norfam0506.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for the boost, Norrfam! After feeling like I was floundering the last couple years, I realized I hadn’t sat down and thought through any personal goals at the beginning of the year like I had in years past. This year, I set some goals in various areas that I want to work toward, but I like the idea of breaking them down into some week-sized bites. :-)

School:
Kids: Everyone should get through the units they’re in (AO7/8 wk 24, RTR unit 18, CTC unit 13, Bigger unit 22). We've finally all hit our stride so most 4-day units are only taking 4 days, with the occasional box or two carried over to a 5th day.

Me: Next week, we leave for a 3-week ministry trip to another part of the country where we’re helping orientate 9 new missionary families to the field. (Totally the Lord’s doing to get them here - even in the midst of a global pandemic!) I’ve got to get school supplies organized so we can still get a couple weeks of school done while gone. That means lots of scanning book pages with my phone and printing pages or making PDFs on the computer. (Between HOD and AO, there’s no way we could take all the books with us!!)

Non-School:
This year, I've set a goal to read through the Bible in a year. But, I always start in Genesis and never make it past about Numbers :wink: , so this time I decided I'd start in the NT. I'm through Matthew, Mark, and half of Luke! I faltered quite a bit this week and last week, but am determined not to let a week's failure derail me, so am aiming to get through the rest of Luke by the end of this next week. Rather than follow various Bible reading plans (which I inevitably fall behind in for one reason or another and then give up :oops: ), I went for sheer practicality. I looked at how many pages are in my Bible, divided by 365, and rounded up to the nearest number. That means I read 4 pages per day, usually finding a good stopping point, like a chapter break or major paragraph break to conclude my reading for the day. Then, I write in my planner which chapters I read. The visual motivation of seeing consecutive days with chapters written in is encouraging!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

Norrfam0506

Post by Norrfam0506 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:26 am

You both have some great goals for the week! We are on target to finish our units this week if we can stay strong through tomorrow. We took yesterday off because I woke up extra late. :lol:
DD13: LHFHG, Beyond, CTC, MTMM
DD11: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Here's my end-of-week update:
13yo: steady progress. He's behind in Music Appreciation but said he'll work on it this weekend, rather than have me look through today to make a list for him. Baby steps.

10yo: decided to take a day off Tuesday to play Lego. Since he's 3 weeks ahead of my plans, I let him. So Reboot was Thursday and he got just 3 other school days done, but he's still on track to mean that I better start prepping for RTR!

Oh! And we also added (blackberry) Italian Cream Sodas to our Storytime as we enjoy The Accidental Voyage! Yum!

9yo finished Sound Bytes!!! He got his Coke float and started reading Frog and Toad books from the ERs with MUCH more fluency than last time round (one story in about 10 minutes, instead of spread over 2 days of painful sounding out).

Non-school:
I got the 4-H speeches uploaded. (1 1/2 - 2 hrs for each speech, but it's done!)
But, I haven't picked a book to read yet. Guess I should go check out our shelves. . .

Overall, a pretty successful week!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics