New Medieval writing books vs. Old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Victorytrain

New Medieval writing books vs. Old

Post by Victorytrain » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:10 am

It looks as if the IEW writing books for RestoRef have been updated. I have the older version from before and now my younger son will be in RestoRef this year. Should we get the newer version? Has there been a lot of change from before?

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: New Medieval writing books vs. Old

Post by Carrie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am

Hello! There were quite a few changes to Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons, requiring a rewrite of our plans in order to use the new version. With that said, if you have the older version you are fine in using that one. We did the older version with our older two boys and the newer version with our next son. We enjoyed both versions! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

FiveArrows

Post by FiveArrows » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:32 pm

I have the newer version but the page numbers don’t match up with the lesson plans.

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:55 pm

The problem with trying to use the old version is finding a student workbook. If you kept the original (photocopying the needed pages for your first son, as the copyright gives permission to do), then you're set! However, if your first son used the student workbook as a workbook, finding a copy of the workbook (new or used) is very difficult now (almost impossible!). You will have to decide if you can use your older son's and have your younger son just copy on notebooking paper, or if you will need to purchase the new edition.

And Five Arrows, since the HOD guide hasn't been updated since IEW's update, you get a copy of the new schedule when you purchase the guide and the IEW package from HOD.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:52 am

I think that the older version is actually still available from IEW if you go to their site. It is very discounted as well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:13 am

Nealewill, I can't find it. With a search for Medieval on the IEW site, only the new ones come up. FWIW, I also searched "Clearance" and the only Medieval books that came up there are the new ones, as well. They didn't have any available back in late 2016 after HOD switched to the new version, and they are very rare (and expensive) on used book sites. I'm guessing they intentionally sold out of the old ones before making the new ones available, much as HOD did with their stock.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:41 am

FiveArrows wrote:I have the newer version but the page numbers don’t match up with the lesson plans.
Just saw this was your first post, FiveArrows! Wanted to welcome you to the HOD Board!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:49 am

Victorytrain wrote:It looks as if the IEW writing books for RestoRef have been updated. I have the older version from before and now my younger son will be in RestoRef this year. Should we get the newer version? Has there been a lot of change from before?
Hi Victorytrain! I like your board name! Personally, I've just decided to go with the new version with my last son in RTR. At some point, it's just easier to recognize things have been redone and go forward unless you have on hand the old versions. I kind of like it, actually. A few new things can be kind of refreshing as I move through the guides with my multiple children! Carrie tried to just modify the old Medieval plans at first. In fact, I remember talking with her about this. Many hours into trying to redo the old plans, she finally said it would be easier to just go back to the drawing board and start afresh. This took many hours for Carrie to rewrite these plans, but I'm excited to use the new plans with my last son! The plans are under copyright but are free with the purchase of either the RTR guide or the Medieval TG/PT from HOD. Of course you can always try to track down the older Medieval... prior to 2016 resources, but I think it's easier just to get what works now unless you already have what used to work. Hope this helps, but if you have more questions, ask away!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Victorytrain

Post by Victorytrain » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:45 pm

We have the old version of the workbook as well to use. I was concerned that maybe the instruction or the source texts IEW used had improved or maybe the flow had changed that would benefit the student. Thanks for the input.