Please! Need Advice for Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mpmarcum418

Please! Need Advice for Beyond

Post by mpmarcum418 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:28 am

I'm really not sure what to do from here...

We've just been gifted Beyond w/ The Reading Lesson and Emerging Readers to use with my 8 yr. old (April) this year. He's supposed to be going into 3rd. He started learning to read with The Reading Lesson at 6. We got about 3/4 through the book and then we had a house fire that destroyed most of our belongings. We found out we were expecting shortly after.

We took a 2 month break and started Easy Peasy's Learn to Read b/c it was free. He did fairly well with sight reading. During my somewhat challenging pregnancy, we made it through most of the First Reader. The baby decided to come a month early, which resulted in an emergency c-section and 2 additional weeks in the hospital. We've also had a death in my family and 2 in my husband's. The last 8 months have been terrible, so school was put on the back burner.

It's almost as if he's forgotten everything we've done. He recognizes some simple sight words and remembers some of the common letter combinations, but easily gets them confused, like ch and sh.

Do I try to go through The Reading Lesson with him again the recommended way (or slower)? Do we try something else? We can't afford All About Reading, even used. Thoughts on Rod and Staff? It may be a possibility if I can find it used cheap enough. Thanks for any insight!

countrymom

Re: Please! Need Advice for Beyond

Post by countrymom » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:28 pm

I would just start over with The Reading Lesson and take it at whatever speed he needs. I used TRL for both of my boys and it was a great way to teach them to read. You have been through a lot and using a resource that is easy, yet thorough, is just what you need. I hope things will settle down for you now.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Re: Please! Need Advice for Beyond

Post by my3sons » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:44 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of all your family has been through! The Lord is faithful, and He will be with you in this fresh start to your homeschooling this coming year with Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory. The previous phonics you completed with TRL sounds like it went well, which indicates a return to it would be beneficial. As you already own it, I would start with it now, following the pacing suggested in the Introduction for an 8 yo. Your student will more than likely 'fly' through the first part, which is fine as it will build confidence and fill any gaps, but then he will more than likely come to a part that proves more difficult, and at that time you can slow down if need be. No matter what, I'd teach it 4-5 days a week consistently from start to finish, as this continuity will keep your little one's reading momentum going.

When he finishes TRL, there will more than likely be some of the school year left in Beyond... If he is reading a book such as "Frog and Toad" or its reading level equivalent of Level 1/2 books quite smoothly by then, pausing to sound out just a longer more difficult word every other page or so, I'd begin him right away on the Emerging Reader's Set. If he is is not reading Level 1/2 books quite smoothly as described, I'd then begin him on Reading Made Easy right away, preferable with the Activity Books 1-4, doing this 4-5 times weekly until complete. I think your little one will then do just fine!!! It is not uncommon for kiddos in the midst of completing a phonics program to somewhat forget what was learned when a longer break has been taken from it. It will come back to your little sweetie, I am sure - and in the meantime, you'll be enjoying all of the Christ-centeredness and joy of the rest of the school subjects in Beyond Little Hearts... The following year, Bigger Hearts... (targeted for ages 7-9) will take him even further in his reading/writing skills, as well as maturity of concepts, and he'll be on a beautiful homeschool journey with HOD - Hope this helps!!! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie