aspergers and placement questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
grantx6

aspergers and placement questions

Post by grantx6 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Does anyone use this curriculum for aspies kids? Is it a good choice?

Okay for my placement questions:

I have a 13 year old daughter, who is behind, she is completing 5th grade of Alpha Omega lifepacs.
I have a newly turned 11 year old (this is my aspie) who, according to a psycol eval has a 3rd grade education.

I have a 4 year old who is gonna need to be included in some learning, otherwise he is just gonna be a big distraction.

Seriously considering HOD for all my children.

Where should I place them??

Oh, and I work part-time. How am I going to do this?

Thank you for any advice!

Carrie Grant

StephanieU

Re: aspergers and placement questions

Post by StephanieU » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Have you looked at the placement chart for your older two kids (http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php)? Where does each one place?
With HOD, it is best to only combine if they are close in skill (at most two guides apart in placement). If you try combining already ranges of age, you end up creating more work for yourself trying to modify things instead of using the guide as written with almost no prep or planning necessary.
Your 4yo can participate in some fun things, like some of the science and art. When any of my kids has painting, I put out supplies for the other to do fun painting too (no rules for them). If one is doing a science experiment, the others can watch and if logical participate.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: aspergers and placement questions

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board, and I too, like Stephanie, would love to hear your thoughts in regard to the placement chart! :D Especially the first page of it. If you share a little about your kiddos' ages/reading/writing/grammar/math according to the placement chart, we will all chime in with better more specific placement helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie