Extra Set of Books for Avid Reader (Preparing)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Extra Set of Books for Avid Reader (Preparing)

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 12, 2016 11:03 am

My oldest will start Preparing in July, so I am starting to plan my order (which I will place next month). She is an avid reader, devouring all of the books we own. She read all of the Bigger books except the two big history books on her own for fun. I didn't realize this until it was too late, although we did continue with the guide as written except for storytime.
So, when I place my next order, I want to get an extra set of books just so we have more on hand (we also go to the library regularly, but it isn't always easy to get good chapter books without a lot of planning on my part). I am already going to be buying the following:
Preparing Economy Package
Preparing Science Package
Preparing Basic Package
Preparing Deluxe Package
DITHOR Level 3 Book Package
(and we already have Rod and Staff on hand as well as math)

Then I was going to buy one Beyond storytime package for my son, since using the library didn't work great when the oldest was in Beyond.

So, here are my options for an additional package:
1. A second Beyond storytime package
2. A different Bigger storytime package (she has read the classic package already)
3. The extension package for Preparing
4. The girl storytime package from CtC

Any opinions?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jhperry

Re: Extra Set of Books for Avid Reader (Preparing)

Post by jhperry » Thu May 12, 2016 11:10 am

If you go with the Preparing Extension set, keep in mind the content level is for slightly older children, not just the reading level. Same would be true with the CTC package if she is properly placed in Preparing. If these books are for just fun, extra reading, I would recommend the girl interest set from Bigger. There are some really good books you don't want to miss if she hasn't read those yet. Understood Betsy, A Little Princess and The Ordinary Princess are favorites around here and have been read and reread many times :D ! Hooray for an avid reader!!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu May 12, 2016 7:18 pm

That is what I was wondering about with the extensions.
We will be doing some substitutions regardless of what we order. We own all fo the Little House books for example (and 2 copies of most of them, 3 copies of a few of them), so we don't need those obviously. And she read Owls at Home since my MIL had it (and I didn't realize it was a DITHOR Level 3 book). She has read Little Princess as well (Christmas present from Grandma) and some of Understood Betsy (library book that she didn't even consider reading once we got it home until the day before it was due).
Are there extension books you would recommend as possible substitutions? She loves reading history-related books, so I know she would enjoy them if they aren't too mature.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Fri May 20, 2016 4:24 pm

I would get the extension package for Preparing. None of them are too mature (the maturity content for extensions will be an issue with CTC on up). My daughter had listened in on "Raiders from the Sea" when I had read it with DS and could remember it quite well, so we read Adam of the Road together. It was excellent! We are reading Shakespeare Stealer together right now and also enjoying it.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!