CM Question / Copywork

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Hope

CM Question / Copywork

Post by Hope » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:15 am

I understand the reasons behind continuing dictation, oral narration, and written narration through the middle and upper years. I myself have seen fruit from these methods, and I am grateful for how much they have helped my children in the learning to write process. I understand also all of the copywork in the elementary years, which has helped my 3 oldest learn to write.

One thing I have never understood though in this type of education is the continuation of copywork beyond 5th grade. Why does copywork continue once dictation and written narration are well underway? For example, now that my 12 year old is doing well writing 8 sentence narrations and longer dictations what is the purpose behind having him continue copywork? I think he would like to know as well. :wink: The dictation and oral and written narrations have enough challenge to keep him engaged. The copywork though is harder to capture his interest at this age. Whereas, I still see much purpose behind copywork for my two in Preparing. Even though they do dictation and basic written narration I see them as still needing copywork. I have a harder time seeing that need for a 12 year old who can write a paragraph with ease. I am sure there is a purpose, and I think it would help me if I knew what it was so my attitude assigning it is in the right place. I have noticed that copywork continues through highschool. What benefits do you see for your children in the continued copywork once dictation and written narrations are well underway?

Thank you & Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow! :D

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: CM Question / Copywork

Post by Carrie » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Hope,

This is a great question! Heading into upper forms of education, copywork begins taking on a new focus. As students copy from increasingly more difficult narrative history books and classic literature, they are noting an author's style, voice, word choice, use of descriptive language, choice of vivid wording, use of humor, foreshadowing, creation of mood, important dialogue, etc. In essence, they are copying from great writers and beginning to internalize the author's use of language. :D

This is an excellent strategy, and one used by many of our founding fathers as a part of their education and all through their lives. Benjamin Franklin was known for copying lengthy passages from the Bible and from Pilgrim's Progress, which he then later tried to write verbatim without looking at the model. Thomas Jefferson was also know to copy extensively from various works in an effort to internalize the material and note important phrasing. :D

In high school, students continue keeping a Common Place Book, selecting quotes or passages that are meaningful to them from their classic literature for inclusion in their book. Charlotte Mason advocated this practice throughout high school, and we feel it is an excellent use of students' time as they watch for notable quotes or passages as they read, select from among them, and accurately copy them into their book for later reference. :D Continuing copywork of Scripture is another area that is well worth time spent copying. Within HOD, students typically copy verses and passages that they have been asked to memorize, making the Scripture within their Common Place Boosk especially meaningful. Poetry is one more area that is worth copying, as the structure of the poems, the flow of the words, the sentiments evoked by the poetry, and the style of the poet are reflected. :D

Copywork is such an overlooked skill especially as students begin doing more of their own writing, however the inclusion of copywork in HOD makes sure that students are continuing to take note of excellent writing. It keeps students watching how strong writers express themselves and keeps students thinking of ways that they can imitate great writing. When students read and then copy from what they read, they remember better what was read. The quotes help the student recall the book to mind. :D So, there are many benefits to copywork all throughout life, no matter what age you are! :D

Blessings,
Carrie