Algebra in 8th or 9th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Algebra in 8th or 9th grade

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm

So......just working on some summer planning and meandering here. My dd is getting ready to start Singapore 5A next year. I am trying to plan for her future and trying to figure out how quickly I want her to get to Algebra.

My oldest is not very mathy at all but she is thriving with Singapore. We used RightStart math for her before I found HOD and that put her really far ahead in the scope and sequence of math topics. There are a lot of repeat topics in levels 4A through 5B but because she was so young, I put her in 4A. Plus, she didn't master all of the info in this level from doing RS level E which is what she had finished the prior year. Last year we completed level 4A and 4B for Singapore and I was very pleased with it. She learned a ton about decimals and converting fractions, which were the two areas that she needed some additional review with.

This year my intentions are to put her in level 5A. She is 10 now and won't be 11 until Nov 30th. If I maintain this pace, she will do Level 6A & 6B when she is 11 and be ready for algebra at 12. My concern though is that Foerester's is considered very challenging and I am concerned about putting her in here at age 12. In addition, my dd has always been on the youngest end of the age range for each guide. So at this point, she is scheduled to graduate a year early. I have NO idea if I will allow her to graduate early or not. My thoughts haven't even made it that far LOL. Even though she is in CTC, she has 4 unit to finish next school year and she will then be moving straight into RtR. Honestly, I had always thought that I would aim to have my kids do algebra in 8th grade. However, she is on target to hit 8th grade level work when she is 12. I am thinking that because she is so young, putting her in algebra when she is 13 (and doing 9th grade work) might be more wise.

This leads me to my questions.....what are the pros and cons of doing algebra in 8th vs 9th grade? From what I remember with my original goals of aiming for algebra in 8th grade, it was mainly driven by having the kids well prepared for the SAT and ACT. Now my goals are adjusting (primarily because of my dd's age) and I am thinking it might be better for her (or even all of my kids) to do algebra in 9th grade having them only finish up through Pre-Cal for their senior year. This way when they get to college, all of this math is fresh in their minds for their college level math classes. I guess realistically each child is different. My son is very mathy and I could totally see him taking Calculus as a senior. But I don't necessarily see my oldest being ready for Calculus when she is 16 years old.

What to do, what to do?!?!? Can my dd handle the higher math early on, honestly I just don't know. I guess I won't know until we get there. Realistically, her doing high school Algebra at age 13 is still young. But for all you moms with high schoolers and graduated kids, what are your thoughts?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

twoxcell

Re: Algebra in 8th or 9th grade

Post by twoxcell » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:45 am

My son is 11(will be 12 in July) and in just finished 6a/6b for 6th grade. I'm going to have him do a pre-algebra program next year for 7th and then algebra 1 in 8th grade. Singapore 6 covers some pre-algebra topics but there are several that it does not cover at all. I didn't want my son to jump into algebra 1 too early especially without covering all of the needed topics.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:12 am

Thanks for your reply. I have been praying about my thoughts on this topic for a very long time. My oldest dd (and even my youngest dd) has always been ahead when she was younger but stuff hadn't been very easy for her as she got older. Last night I sat down and put together a schedule that will take her at a minimum of 2 years to complete and at a maximum 3 years to complete. And I do know that HOD recommend having children complete the No-Nonse Algebra program prior to Foerester's algebra if they aren't ready for the harder Algebra program and you want to use that one. Depending on how my dd finishes her schedule, I have though about adding in VideoText Level A only. But in general, I think I am just goiong to go with my schedule and take it at her pace. For me, it is really tricky when I think about "grade level" for things because each child hits different things at different times. Some subjects come easier than others. I want my kids to be the best prepared for the ACT and SAT tests as they can be. But at the same time, I want them to completely understand each subject they are working on rather than just moving them head to maintain a pace I set so that they can finish it before that test. I also haven't really looked into when you are required to take those tests either. My thoughts are that they will take a prep-course before taking the test and that they will take that test when they are 16 or 17. I guess even though my dd is only 10, I am a planner at heart and I just like to have a plan in place for everything LOL.

Thanks again for your thoughts though.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:24 pm

I have a kiddo in 6th this fall who is in pre-algebra this year with Life of Fred and will likely also start Algebra 1 this year in 6th. We'll just see how it goes. I may look into some of the ones that HOD recommends too. So anyway, just chiming in because I understand and we are in the same position. I'm really not completely sure where to go from here either.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks so much :-) I was chatting with hubby last night thinking how nice life would be if God just game me an 18 year instruction manual for each kid KWIM? LOL - I know I have the Bible but a manual with my name and each one of my kids name......
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 am

Nealewill wrote:Thanks so much :-) I was chatting with hubby last night thinking how nice life would be if God just game me an 18 year instruction manual for each kid KWIM? LOL - I know I have the Bible but a manual with my name and each one of my kids name......
I agree Daneale! :D

I have been debating on this exact question with my rising 6th grader, ds11. He scores very high in math (99 - 100 percent) with BJU and standardized tests. I see pros and cons to doing Pre-Calculus in 11th versus 12th and I am still trying to decide what path to take.

Thanks for starting the topic.