Preparing Unit 24, Day 3

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom2gr8kidz

Preparing Unit 24, Day 3

Post by mom2gr8kidz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:11 pm

I have a question about a statement in the Hillyer book about Islam. He says, "When Muslims pray to Allah, they are praying to the same God that Christians and Jews worship." This is not at all what I have believed as a Christian and I am not likely to present such a statement to my girls as truth. Does anyone have any thoughts on that particular chapter in the Hillyer book? (pages 191-195)

Thanks!
Susan E
mom to 5 kids-26, 24, 20, 12, and 10
Have used Beyond, Bigger, and currently in Preparing with
my 12 and 10 year old daughters...
and loving it!!

Jennymommy

Re: Preparing Unit 24, Day 3

Post by Jennymommy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:28 pm

We spoke about why some people believe that and why we know it is not true. Good discussion material 8)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 pm

My dd and I had a great discussion about this last year :-) I just told her that while the lineage of the Muslim religion may have started with Ismael, once Muhammad changed half the words that Ismael probably taught, it very much stopped being the "same" God.

And as for reading that sentence to my dd - I did read the whole chapter to her, every sentence. It really reinforced what my husband and I have told our kids all along, just because some writes something as truth in a book, it is up to us to seek the Bible and always discern whether or not we believe it to be true. If it goes against the Bible, then no we don't believe it to be true.

Also - the discussion that Carrie wrote into the plans I think fulfills this even more. It lead to a wonderful discussion with my dd last year and how Islam is not the true religion. I know that as we school our kids we will come across statements that may make us uncomfortable because we know them to be false. But as I raise my kids, I want them to be able to build those skills of discernment. I won't be around forever nor will I be with them all the time once they grow up and move out. The need to learn these skills and make them second nature. I think HOD does a great job with this because they are always providing a moment for growth and discussion when chapters (or sentences) arise like this.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

psreit

Post by psreit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:44 pm

I had a thought to add to what Daneale said. If our kids were in public school, they would be hearing many things that we disagree with that we wouldn't even know about, unless they told us. When something comes up that we disagree with, we homeschoolers have the advantage to be able to refute it and teach our children what is right and wrong according to the Bible. Each one needs to decide if they want to address it with their child. We are faced with so much opposition just going away from home. I'm so thankful I can keep my daughter at home and teach her what we believe is right. HOD is helping me do just that. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

mom2gr8kidz

Post by mom2gr8kidz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. We will use this day for discussion of what we believe and why vs what Muslims believe and why. I am thankful for HOD!!
Susan E
mom to 5 kids-26, 24, 20, 12, and 10
Have used Beyond, Bigger, and currently in Preparing with
my 12 and 10 year old daughters...
and loving it!!

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 am

The Bible discussion that day that Carrie included actually lead us to discussion as to why that statement and more about the chapter was not biblical.
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3