DITHOR - two levels

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

DITHOR - two levels

Post by PoppyD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:57 am

Hi ladies,
I'm trying to decide if I will change my current reading program and use drawn into the heart of reading next year when we start HOD. I really do like what we are currently using, but it is really time consuming. One of the things that seems enticing about DITHOR is that you can use it for multiple children at multiple levels at one time, correct? Can you tell me how this would work exactly? I will have a second grader and a fourth grader. The fourth-grader will be using CTC. My 2nd grader won't be doing HOD.
Thanks!
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

Nealewill

Re: DITHOR - two levels

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:45 am

You can definitely run it with 2 kids at the same time with same genre. I have 3 kids and my oldest does a different genre than my younger 2. My younger 2 haven't started yet but will start in April.

For me, I am going to run two levels of it but not run the two levels together. Your teaching time isn't very long. If you wanted to run them together, then you would have them both participate in the opening activity at the same time. Each child would have different days that they do worksheets from the student books. And if they had the same day of doing the same worksheet, you may be able to choose which activity you complete for which level.

With HOD, DITHOR is a great fit because it visits so many elements of literature. With the oldest child, it is schedule 3 days per week. If you follow the schedule, you will complete approximately 5 books a year. With the younger child, you would probably want to do DITHOR every day. This might be another reason to run separate genres for each child. But I know there are a lot of moms who do it together.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:10 am

Thanks!
So am I understanding correctly that it won't be much help to run them both through DITHOR if I'm using another curriculum for my 2nd grader? My goal was to make things simpler by them both receiving the same instruction for reading on the same days - of course different activities but for the most part me instructing about each genre together. I don't have DITHOR, so I don't know what each day and week look like other than what is given as a sample online. My younger daughter will be using Veritas Press. They have their own books/literature packages with corresponding activities to go along. Just trying to simplify as much as possible.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:14 pm

Honestly, I am not sure if it would be "easier" per se to run them together.

I do know that I really love the study and the way that DITHOR is done. It isn't a lot of reading and comprehension. It is more about processing the story, pulling out important information, comparing yourself with the characters and comparing both with the Bible. I also love that they study a variety of genres. Most other programs I have found aren't quite as diverse in their intentions (if that makes sense). For me, it has been great. So I guess I am saying that you can use any books you wish with DITHOR. You could always try it out with your oldest next year and see what you think. You could always start your 2nd grader whenever you want if you decided you really like it. I must be honest though, I am not familiar with the literature structure of Veritas Press. I definitely agree that you would not want to do both. It would be just too much. Before finding HOD, I tried Abeka and Progeny Press. Both of those were a style comparable with answering a significant amount of comprehension questions. That wasn't really my style. HOD has more of an "experiencing the novel" by having DITHOR direct the students in applying critical think, analysis, and comparisons with what you read to maximize the students ability to come up with their own interpretations and meanings within the content. We have found it to be a breath of fresh air and my oldest really likes it. Also, DITHOR doesn't have kids do traditional book reports at the end. HOD has plenty of writing already. Instead they offer book projects - hands on activities to rehash and report the themes and important information from the book.

I don't know that this answered your question but I hope it was a helpful glimpse into the style of DITHOR.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks Daneale!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:50 pm

We have used DITHOR with 2 dc at a time for the past forever years and loved it! :D I am not sure if you are saying you'd still do Veritas Press alongside DITHOR too? I'd not suggest that, as DITHOR is full enough on its own. This is how we do our days in DITHOR with our now 2nd grader and 6th grader...

*do DITHOR 3 days a week (I chose M/W/F, as this works best for our schedule)
*do DITHOR from 10 to 10:40 AM
Day 1 - do genre kickoff together, give each child different book and fill out their reading calendar
Days 2-15 Routine - I hear younger read 2-3 pages aloud while older reads silently; then switch where I hear older read 1-2 pages aloud while younger reads silently; as they both finish their reading silently I get lesson ready
Lesson time - we sit at table for Student Book work, on couches for discussions, my time is already divided nicely according to the plans (i.e. it'll have independent work for the older while I'm working with the younger); I just go between the 2 until my part is done and they are done. I often write my younger ds's answers on a marker board as he orally shares them and then leave the marker board for him to copy his answers from into his Student Book. For my older, I usually just go through the directions with him, and he works independently, other than discussions which we have on the couch.
Days 16-20 - do genre project together

We have had a great year with DITHOR! I hope something here can help! :D :D :D

In Chist,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:22 pm

I am planning to use Veritas for history for my middle child. I've not decided about language arts except R&S English and spelling. Oldest child is doing CTC exactly like it is, though i may sub in another writing program here and there.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks Julie for explain how you combine your 2 boys! That is very helpful. My younger 2 can pretty much start DITHOR any day. They keep reading book after book right now but they haven't ended their books at the same time yet LOL. I would actually love to do all of my kids at the same time (especially be the opening activities are a lot of fun when more then one kid participates). And they are all in the 2/3 or 4/5 range - so they are very close. I think we can make this work very nicely...... My oldest finishes her genre in 3 weeks. I am thinking that might be the perfect time to have my younger 2 start and have them all do the same genre :-)

Thanks again.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks, Daneale! I think that sounds like a good time to have them try to join! :D :D :D We have done DITHOR together, and we have done DITHOR separate - both with good luck depending on the time I have to teach and how the kiddos are reading. Just trying it often shows which will go better, so maybe that would reveal what would be best for you, PoppyD.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie