Scheduling CTC and Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Scheduling CTC and Beyond

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:12 pm

I have been thinking about how I should schedule CTC (2 of my kiddos) and Beyond (my other 2 kiddos) as well as 4 different maths. When my oldest 2 were in preparing, We started out the morning with Preparing and did it ALL except the math. Then we did Beyond. Then I did math separately with all 4. I can't have them do CTC in one sitting.

So, I was thinking. Start the day with half of CTC. Then do ALL of Beyond. Then do the 2nd half of CTC. Then do the 4 maths.

Thoughts?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

deb

Re: Scheduling CTC and Beyond

Post by deb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:19 am

I haven't done Beyond so I can't speak to that, but much of the CTC guide is done independently. Would this work: Let the CTC kids do independent work first while you work with Beyond, then allow the Beyond kids work independently while you check CTC independent work and then do T & I work with them. Go back to Beyond if they still need more of your time.

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:53 pm

My CTC kids are not going to be independent at first. I have to "train them there". :)
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Rice

Post by Rice » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:26 pm

I spend some time with a mostly independent student (my CTC), then we start our day as a family with a chapter from the Bible. I then spend 10 min with my Bigger girl before sending her to do what she is capable of doing independently. Next is time with my LHFHG and when he's done with me he has only about 10 minutes work left to do his copy work, then he's done for the day. My Preparing guy comes next, with everything he can't do independently and checking some of the things he's already completed. After that it's a free-for-all between the Bigger and CTC two; who's ready to work with me again? How much do you have left to do with me? independently? Sort of a first come, first served between those two as we finish our morning.

I would suggest, depending how independent your CTC ones are, spending 5-15 minutes with them first thing in the morning going over (reading through the S boxes, and maybe the I ones) what they will do while you're with the Beyond ones. (Also discuss: Who gets which books first? Will they work together on a project or do painting at the same time so only 1/2 the clean up? etc.) One more thing about this time in the morning: Can you find something - copy work, perhaps - that the Beyond kids can do while you do this organization with the CTC ones?

Then do the bulk of Beyond, later sending them to do some independent work or to play or do chores while you do the T boxes with CTC. Then you could check the Beyond work before finishing up the S or different-leveled T things with CTC (I assume they'll do different DITHOR or grammar levels?).

It's a bit of a juggling act till you figure out what works but I find that spending just a few minutes first thing helps my older kids gain some focus on what they want to have accomplished before meeting for the T boxes later.

Oh, and one other thing. . . make sure you give all of them, and especially you, lots of grace to ease into the new schedule & levels. Start off with CTC kids for a week or two (maybe even half pace for 2 weeks to complete a unit, then a week at full speed) before adding in your Beyond kids. (They could read daily and do some math review while waiting to start.) This will give you all a chance to see what's expected at that level and which subjects or books might be easier or more of a struggle for them and will need extra time scheduled and to understand how to do the I boxes as much on their own as possible.

HTH!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:50 am

When my kids are first becoming independent I will go over the things they have to do independently and then send them off to do it. While they are doing it I work with the next most indpendent one.. If I only had CTC and Beyond I'd go over the semi-independent things with the CTC people and then show them what they had to do independently (I'm assuming that's what you mean by they aren't independent? I'm really not sure.... do you mean they can't read their own stuff or that they just aren't reliable to do the work on their own?) Then while they are working I'd do school with the Beyond people. In my experience, it's plenty of time.

I would also suggest starting a couple of weeks ahead with the CTC... maybe even going half speed. Just to get everyone in the groove of the guide.