spelling instructions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

spelling instructions

Post by Gwenny » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 am

I was doing spelling with my son in Bigger yesterday. He did list 1 last year and we are on list 2. I just realized something I was doing wrong. :( When the guide says to, "guide students to study each card one at a time, flip it over, write the word from memory on paper, flip the card back over to check the spelling...", I was not doing it that way. I would hold the cards in my hand, show it to him, take it away and then show him again after he had written it. Seems like about the same thing to me. Yesterday, I started that, but then noticed that the guide said, to have them do it----duh, shows my lack of attention--and I get on the kids for that. :) Anyway, I changed what I was doing. It changed it for him. It was a little harder because he had to take the time to flip the card over and then start writing--not as immediate as me doing it. I noticed him having to think about the word a little bit while he was writing. Also, he got a word wrong (he added a letter) and when he picked the card up and looked at it quickly he didn't notice it was wrong. I had him put the card next to his word and then he noticed the mistake. He then checked a little closer with each card from then on.

Anyway--just wanted to encourage others to do the spelling like the guide says. I read on here and even tell myself and others that Carrie has a reason for doing things in the guide, even if it's not obvious as first why. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG