LHFHG and Reading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

LHFHG and Reading

Post by PoppyD » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi ladies,
I'm trying to wrap my brain about what our next year of school will look like. (which i will be buying curriculum in the spring to start getting familiar with HOD myself) I'm pretty confident that we will be using Bigger and CTC. And it seems like LHFHG will work best for my then kindergartner. But she just turned 4 and is reading pretty well. My other kids even give her spelling tests for fun and she does great spelling short vowel words, even using consonant blends. I think I am going to go ahead and get The Reading Lesson for her because she just really wants to go for it. But what will that mean for us next year starting LHFHG? How would I proceed with a child that already reads? I don't want to just omit something and not fill it with something else because I know she will want to be doing "work" like her sisters. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Poppy
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

Rice

Re: LHFHG and Reading

Post by Rice » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:26 pm

My son is in LHFHG this year and we used a reading program last year that we should finish some time next month. From there I plan (on recommendations from HOD) to move into the Emerging Readers from Bigger. I plan to do both Bibles (since we already own them both) to allow more time for him to practice. Whenever he finishes with the ERs we'll plan to move into the Level 2 books with DITHOR (whether that's mid year of Bigger or not till Beyond, depending on his readiness). The two down-sides to this plan is that: 1)I had to buy the Bigger guide this year in order to do the ER series. I was able to get a used copy but if you buy it from HOD they'll let you still use the package discount if you remind them when the time comes that you previously bought the guide, too. 2)You have to jump back and forth from one guide to the next every day. My DS brings all his books in a bucket to the couch for us to work together and it's pretty heavy. But small prices to pay for having them at the right level and continuing in their reading journey at their own pace! :D

That's how we're dealing with it.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:19 pm

As Rice said, you can easily do The Reading Lesson with LHFHG (we are doing this) and if you get into that a little bit and want to start spelling you could also do the spelling lists as an add-on. It is no problem if the child can already read, in fact you may find it a help. As soon as my kids can start reading the directions in their workbooks that really frees me up to be working with several at once at the table and that's what I do.

Reading is at the child's own level. After TRL if your child is really reading well you can start Emerging Readers which is in either the Beyond or Bigger guide. As Rice said, there are two Bibles and if you like you can do both. There are also supplemental titles listed (that don't have comprehension questions but I just made up my own) that you can use to stretch out ER a little longer also. I think for a younger child, stretching out the ER time is helpful because DITHOR is a lot of work and has more writing with it, I started my oldest in DITHOR when she was 7 and it was a lot more difficult for her because of just the higher level thinking involved. It worked out and she grew into it, but I have waited a little longer with my 2nd to start DITHOR (by adding in supplemental titles to ER).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:26 pm

We used LHFHG for 1st grade, and my daughter was reading some before we started LHFHG. But, she wasn't ready for the ER books until we were about half way through. We continued our phonics program (Horizons), but focused on reading "real" books. We started with Bob books (read all of them) and then My First and Level 1 I Can Read books. She also started reading the chapter titles for everything in LHFHG, which she enjoyed. When I ordered LHFHG, I went ahead and ordered the Economy Beyond package as well so I had the Beyond guide with all of the ER information.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Rice wrote:My son is in LHFHG this year and we used a reading program last year that we should finish some time next month. From there I plan (on recommendations from HOD) to move into the Emerging Readers from Bigger. I plan to do both Bibles (since we already own them both) to allow more time for him to practice.
This is exactly what we have done with several of our dc. It worked well! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie