Finishing R&S 6 by 8th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

Finishing R&S 6 by 8th grade

Post by jacynamommy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:20 am

Okay ladies, I'm confused! I saw that it is recommended to finish R&S 6 by 8th grade. This year, my 10 year old son, will be using CTC for 5th grade. We did R&S 2 for BHFHG (3rd grade), R&S 3 for Preparing (4th grade), and now we're reading for R&S 4 for CTC this year. If we only do half of the book this year (as recommended in the guide) and half of the book next year, that would have him doing the entire R&S 5 book in a year (7th grade) and the entire R&S book 6 his 8th grade year. So...I'm wondering if this is the right pace for us to split a book in half? Or would we be better off doing the entire R&S 4 book this year and splitting R&S 5 or 6 in a later year? I hope this makes sense...just trying to figure out which R&S book (4, 5, or 6) would be the better book to split in half since it appears we are behind somehow. Thanks!!!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

StephanieU

Re: Finishing R&S 6 by 8th grade

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:42 am

Here is what is on the Rev2Rev package page for English:
For English, customize with the options below (or use your own text). Both texts below are scheduled in our guide daily, giving you a choice for your 6th and 7th graders to do all of English 5 or to do the first half of English 6. The following year students will complete either all of English 6 or the last half of English 6. In order to keep the area of language arts in balance within our guides, while still allowing us to utilize a rigorous English program, our goal is for students to complete English 6 by the end of grade 8. This will prepare students well for high school level English requirements. Students in grades 6 on up who have had little grammar instruction, should use English 5 since it is considered to be a foundational level of the text.

So, in your case, you will do English 4 for CtC and RtR. Then you will do English 5 in Rev2Rev, and English 6 in MtMM.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jacynamommy

Re: Finishing R&S 6 by 8th grade

Post by jacynamommy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 am

Stephanie,
Thank you SO much for responding to my questions! That is SUPER helpful and I no longer feel so behind. ;) Bless you!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond