Placement Chart Help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gratitude

Placement Chart Help

Post by gratitude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:25 pm

I would like to place my 11, 9 1/4, and 7 1/2 year olds in HOD. They did MFW ECC this past school year. The HOD placement chart has a very different scope and sequence than MFW so I am finding it difficult understanding it enough to discern placement.

Could you please tell me where you think my children place?

11 year old: Very advanced reader who remembers what he reads easily. He reads and comprehends the KJV Bible with ease, and has read many books of the Bible. The hardest books he has read include the KJV Bible, David Downs Unwrapped Pharaohs, David Downs Kings in the new guide, and the David Downs Archeology book in the Geography Guide. He has also read most of Fullbright's Elementary science books and MOH Volume I. He has orally narrated since he was age 6 and gives detailed narrations or concise summary narrations orally of everything he reads. He does this voluntarily. Reading, vocabulary, and comprehension are his strengths. He is my one who often has a book in his hand; he learns a lot through reading. His other strength is understanding abstract math concepts. Writing and math computation have come more slowly. He is ready for Rod and Staff English 5 this fall (he has done 2, 3, & 4), he writes everything in Italic, and he can write an 8 sentence narration. However, we have only done a couple of written narrations (one was 3 sentences and one was eight. Both took around 20 - 30 minutes). He has also done extensive copy work and worked on dictation this past school year daily. In math he is almost finally done knowing all math facts solidly, which we have alternated with conceptual math that comes very easily for him. Where would I even start with HOD? He wants Rev2Rev since he would like to study American History.

9 year old: He is the natural speller and writer who has had reading come more slowly. He writes cursive, can write a short creative story, has done a lot of copy work, has done some dictation, and reads around a 3rd grade level or a bit higher. His math also has alternated between math fact practice and more conceptual math work that comes easily for him. For science he has done Fullbright's Astronomy and loves to do any experiments that we have done for other books. He loves to do, draw, and create. He has finished R&S English 2 and is ready to start 3.

7 1/2 year old: Her reading is doing very well. She can read at an emerging reading level or a little higher. She has done a lot of copy work and phonics. She also likes to write short creative stories and can spell. She loves to create and make and draw. She is ready to start R&S English 2, but could also wait longer for it. Her math has also alternated between math facts and conceptual. Her favorite math book is a book like Rod and Staff math. I enjoy teaching math so I have drawn from different places for all 3 of them. I am trying to choose one program this summer for all 3 that we will stay the slow and steady course with. Yes, we have used Singapore quite a bit.

I know the placement chart is the place that is suggested to start with on this board. I have studied it. I honestly cannot make heads or tails of it. It leaves me wanting and hoping for help. I find it difficult to place into coming from MFW.

Where would you place them?

I once was intimidated by the thought of 3 guides with HOD. At this point I think it would be fine. So I am not looking to combine. I find combining can leave the oldest bored and the youngest pushed too hard. They interact continuously with one another and we emphasize family time, so the idea of them having independent school work actually appeals to me. My DH does lead family Bible time and devotionals, so I think the separate Bible during school time might actually be nice for their own spiritual growth.

Thank you for your help.

Kims

Re: Placement Chart Help

Post by Kims » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 am

You should call the office they are great to help you place your children correctly.
Just look at what you have off the top of my head I would place them in Beyond for 7yo keeping the grammar and math you have, 9yo either Bigger or Preparing but probably preparing and keep the grammar and math levels you are at. For the older I would probably do CTC. Just because I don't like them to be on the younger side of the guides.
I do think you should call Monday though because they are so great to talk you through it and they know so much more about how the guides run.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:11 am

Based on what you said, I think the oldest might be able to do the guide he wants to do. But, it will be challenging. He will be at the younger end of the age range, but it seems like he is advanced. So, I would go wtih Rev2Rev or RtR for him.
For the next, I was thinking Preparing by what you said. That would be the "average" guide for a 9yo, and it sounds like he has the background to do it.
For the youngest, I think Beyond or Bigger would work. Personally, I would go with Beyond and consider adding in Rod and Staff 2 if she is ready (one lesson a day). That would beef it up just a tiny bit, adding 5-10 minutes a day. One thing Julie has recommended with that is to do the Beyond grammar activities (all on Day 5 of the guide) first, doing 1 a day. Then start R&S2.
And I agree calling might be a great option. Mike or Julie can help you fine tune the placement and confirm what to buy.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:45 am

I also agree to call them.

My thoughts, just from what you said (oh, and btw, math/grammar aren't what you want to base their placement on... that is easy to fit to the child) are this.

7 - Beyond. I think it would be a great place to start and it would be easy to implement. It sounds like she fits it perfectly.
9 - I was thinking Bigger or Preparing, and then when I saw that your 7 fits in Beyond I thought that maybe starting Preparing out half speed would work well! That way both of you would grow into it fairly easily.
11 - I think I would start with Res to Ref. I originally was thinking CTC because he'd be at the older end and it would help his narration a bit. And if you school 5 days per week instead of 4 you could go through it a little more quickly, and could start Res to Ref and get around 8 units into that as well. BUT I really think it sounds like he fits Res to Ref AND that it would help YOUR day a bit (it's SLIGHTLY more independent than CTC). Plus he'd still be in the middle of the age range. The reason I personally would not start with Rev to Rev is because you have never done HOD before.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:47 pm

From what you've shared, I think the 7 yo places in Beyond, the 9 yo in PHFHG, and the 11 yo in CTC or Resurrection to Reformation. The amount of daily writing in RTR will be something to grow into, as it is commonly 8-12 sentences in a setting, often daily with various assignments across the spectrum). For our son, there was more of an increase in skills between RTR and RevtoRev, than from CTC and RTR. So, in choosing between CTC and RTR, I think RTR is the more appropriate choice due to ds's strong reading skills and grammar placement. I wouldn't advise doing RevtoRev (where writing 10-14 sentences in a setting is common). RTR seems to be the right choice, and I think it will be more attainable for ds to successfully thrive with his "I" independent and "S" semi-independent boxes than RevtoRev. Beyond, PHFHG, and RTR are 3 great guides, and I think you'd have a good plan intact with using them with your dc. :D One other option would be to combine your 7 1/2 year old and 9 year old in Bigger Hearts together. You'd have to really consider the 7 1/2 yo in this placement though, as there is quite a bit more writing in BHFHG, and I was unsure how much writing she had been used to doing on a daily basis. You'd also want to consider if you want those 2 dc to be learning together in BHFHG, or if it would be just better and easier for the 2 of them and for you if your dd did Beyond and finished earlier, and your ds did PHFHG and had a 4 day schedule and some possibly needed independence with "I" boxes. HTH - but what are your thoughts about all of this?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:10 pm

my3sons wrote: - but what are your thoughts about all of this?

In Christ,
Julie
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help me through the placement chart. I appreciate it! :D

It sounds like everyone agreed that Beyond makes sense for my dd7 and Preparing makes sense for my ds9. My dd7 completed MFW1 last year, so the books in Beyond make sense to me for her. I think she would enjoy them. My ds9, who turned 9 this past spring, I think would like the books and work in Preparing. This makes sense to me as well.

It looks like there is some toss up between CTC and RTR with a leaning towards RTR for my oldest.

Perhaps a little more information will help decide between the two?

*He just turned 11 a couple of weeks ago.

*My biggest challenge with schooling him has been such a wide range in his abilities.

*I don't think his desire for Rev2Rev should make the decision, but I understand the reason he picked it. It was a program he saw where he has only read one of the books; so the information is new.

*He did Simply Charlotte Mason volume I dictation this past school year. It helped immensely in spelling and writing.

*Rod and Staff English 4 this past year was his first introduction to paragraph writing, and he did well with it.

*His next program in MFW would be CTC for ancients. He knows a lot of Bible and ancient history from that time period, but it isn't anything we have ever pulled together in a structured or chronological way.

Does this help discerning placement?

Thank you so much ladies! :D
Last edited by gratitude on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I would lean towards CtC then since in many ways you consider him a 5th grader. One thing you will enjoy about HOD is that it does push the independence and the writing while being age-appropriate. The writing (through written narrations and the notebooking) is tied into the reading, which I think will help him. To keep up with his reading, you can use DITHOR books at his reading level too. This also includes some writing.
Mom to

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:02 pm

I also think if you are leaning toward him doing Ancients, then CTC would be a better fit for him. Many parents do use CTC for 5th grade, me included. My dd is 9 but she will be 10 soon and I consider her a 5th grader regardless of the cut off date. Also, if he loves to read, you could always buy the extensions for him too. This would give him plenty of time for his writing to catch up with his skills. Even if you consider your son to be a 6th grader, CTC would still be a great fit for a 6th grader IMHO. It is a great program and we are enjoying it very much.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

I thought I should clarify I don't really think of him as any particular grade. I try to focus on my children's ages and abilities, rather than grade. It sounds like some of you do the same with your children.
Last edited by gratitude on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:42 pm

Based on what you've said I think that CTC with or without extensions would be absolutely perfect for him! It would let him still get the reading and comprehension stuff that he loves, would let him study what you feel he should be studying, and would help him improve the areas he needs work on!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:52 pm

gratitude wrote:I thought I should clarify I don't really think of him as any particular grade. He is highschool level in some abilities and elementary in others. We have to test and he tests as an average high school student would if they took his test.

In picking curriculum I try to focus on abilities first & then work load abilities and then his age if mature content is an issue.

He has always been very difficult to buy curriculum for, and unfortunately planning lessons is not my strength. Books are the easy purchase that he learns from on his own.
Sorry - I wasn't trying to pigeon hole him into a grade :oops: . I guess I was just trying to imply that I thought he would enjoy the material for his age more or less. But I do think that either R2R or CTC would work well for him. I just picked CTC based on your thoughts about him learning about Ancients :lol:
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Nealewill wrote:
gratitude wrote:I thought I should clarify I don't really think of him as any particular grade. He is highschool level in some abilities and elementary in others. We have to test and he tests as an average high school student would if they took his test.

In picking curriculum I try to focus on abilities first & then work load abilities and then his age if mature content is an issue.

He has always been very difficult to buy curriculum for, and unfortunately planning lessons is not my strength. Books are the easy purchase that he learns from on his own.
Sorry - I wasn't trying to pigeon hole him into a grade :oops: . I guess I was just trying to imply that I thought he would enjoy the material for his age more or less. But I do think that either R2R or CTC would work well for him. I just picked CTC based on your thoughts about him learning about Ancients :lol:
And I was coming at grade level from a maturity stand point. Although eh is advanced in certain areas, his ability to work independently and deal with tough topics is what I was thinking about.
Mom to

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Nealewill wrote: Sorry - I wasn't trying to pigeon hole him into a grade :oops: . I guess I was just trying to imply that I thought he would enjoy the material for his age more or less. But I do think that either R2R or CTC would work well for him. I just picked CTC based on your thoughts about him learning about Ancients :lol:
I am sorry too; I think my answer came across the wrong way.

He didn't learn any new content in ECC this past school year, and so I think that is still with me and influencing my thoughts some.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Don't be sorry - I just didn't want to offend.

Yes, we did ECC as well it just wasn't a good fit for us. Honestly, every level of HOD is wonderful! So you could look at a purely skill stand point. I would probably just get the placement chart out and circle where he places for everything except math and see where he falls. If he lines up more with CTC than R2R, then I would definitely do CTC. If he lines up more with R2R, then I think you have choices. I think no matter which one he lines up with, I think he will have a great year!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Nealewill wrote:Don't be sorry - I just didn't want to offend.

Yes, we did ECC as well it just wasn't a good fit for us. Honestly, every level of HOD is wonderful! So you could look at a purely skill stand point. I would probably just get the placement chart out and circle where he places for everything except math and see where he falls. If he lines up more with CTC than R2R, then I would definitely do CTC. If he lines up more with R2R, then I think you have choices. I think no matter which one he lines up with, I think he will have a great year!
Thank you! :D