DITHOR books for 8 & 9 year olds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TXmommy

DITHOR books for 8 & 9 year olds

Post by TXmommy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am

Hello! I've got an 8 and (will be) 10 year old that will be starting HOD late summer or this fall. I was planning to get my 8 year old the level 3 books and my 9 year old the level 4/5 books. They both love to read and are not intimidated by long chapter books. I don't want to place them above their level because I realize maturity and comprehension are important also. Any help would be appreciated!

For example:
8 year old loves the Little House books, has read Dr. Doolittle, Dolphin Adventure, Sugar Creek Gang series, Imagination Station
9 year old loves Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Sugar Creek Gang, Boxcar Children, Imagination Station
both enjoy reading books that are for younger children also!

Thank you!
Mommy to three precious little ones... and one on the way!
Excited to be using HOD for the first time our next school year :)

MelInKansas

Re: DITHOR books for 8 & 9 year olds

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 pm

From what you have said the level 3 and level 4/5 sound like they would work well. It does take a little time to adjust to the level of thinking required in DITHOR and there is a pretty good jump between level 3 and level 4/5 (my DD just started 4/5 and the books are a lot longer, harder vocabulary, for example since the Captive Princess is about Pocahontas there are a lot of Native American words thrown in just for good measure). Also the book packs do get harder as they go through (the list top to bottom) so you could start the 9YO with the last couple of books in the Level 3 pack if you wanted to. The genres can be done in any order.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven