Would this be a problem?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Would this be a problem?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:57 pm

We are doing Beyond slowly over the summer. But, I am considering doing storytime daily over the few weeks and just getting the biography done. We did Unit 2 Day 4 today, and I don't see us finishing Unit 4 until about the end of July. My thought was just to get the storytime done (doing 4-6 days a week) and then take a break from that until we get to Unit 5 for everything else. The main reason is that we are using a library book, and we have already had it for 2 months. I think it is about time we turn it back in (we just keep rechecking it). Also, I think going almost a week between readings occasionally is making it hard on my daughter to remember what is going on.
Anyone see any problems with doing this?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Re: Would this be a problem?

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:44 pm

I would often get off track with Storytime, either doing the books too quickly, or whatever. If there were only a few days left I just took those days off and didn't do storytime. If there was a week or more left I usually picked another book and just kept going. So you could squeeze in more books that way if you wanted to. I would just do the activities on the day you do Beyond and the other days read, or read and discuss. But that's just me. Storytime is a favorite with my kids so they would beg for it and wanted it every day.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:31 am

If it were, I would probably do the story time box daily too. That way you finish the book timely and your kids remember the beginning of the book. I started Little Hearts and Bigger a few weeks ago but then abruptly decided I was ready for a break. Thankfully we didn't start CTC yet with my oldest. So with my younger 2, because I only covered 1 week and 1 day, I am honestly just going to repeat some of the readings the week before. I think my kids will enjoy listening to some of the readings and I think it is hard for kids to have to start and stop a story like that. So yes, I think completing the story box daily for a bit will be totally fine. But I also agree with Melinkansas that my kids do look forward to storytime everyday. So while you are you doing storytime now every day, I also wouldn't get into the habit of not having storytime regularly. I think my kids might actually cry LOL if I don't read them a story (yes, even the oldest LOL).
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 am

There is a reason for reading books a portion at a time over a long period of time. It allows for the mind to absorb and "feast" on the ideas. It is part of the whole CM philosophy or methodology to deal with books this way and there are benefits to it. The way Carrie has laid everything out is very intentional and is therefore worth considering the why behind it before changing how you do things.

That said, however, when borrowing a library book, time is important and I don't think there's a big problem with moving faster than scheduled when circumstances warrant it. I just wouldn't make it your usual practice. "You gotta' do what you gotta' do" sometimes, right? :D

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:20 pm

We are still only ding at most one chapter/lesson a day. But we are not on the same day as we are for everything rise now. We should finish next week, and we well be probably half way through Unit 3 for everything else. We may just continue reading good books until we get caught up to storytime.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:33 am

I think reading good books is always a good plan :-) I read to my kids all the time still even outside of school and they love it!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM