Math help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christina

Math help

Post by christina » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm

My son will be in the 8th grade this fall. I'm not sure what math curriculum to choose for him. I'd like him to do Forester's Alg. 1 for 9th. He completed a pre-algebra class at co-op during 7th grade, but when I gave him the placement test for TT and Math U see, he still seems to need pre-algebra. I own Singapore 5a-6b, but when we tried it before, I had a difficult time teaching it. I did not have the instructors guide. I also can borrow Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra from a friend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Christina

MelInKansas

Re: Math help

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Has he done Singapore before? Your post seems to indicate that he has not. Singapore is a different way of approaching and thinking about math so I think switching to that might be difficult at this stage, and if he places in pre-algebra it makes the most sense to do that this year, in preparation for Algebra next year.

I would at least borrow the TT pre-algebra and give it a try, see how it goes. Maybe have him do a few lessons this summer to see if it's a good fit and then if not you can keep looking for something else.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

christina

Post by christina » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Thank you MelinKansas for your reply.
Christina

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Christina,
What math curriculum has he been taught from through 7th grade? That might also give us some insight so that we can better help you.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

christina

Post by christina » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:16 pm

He used MUS for 1st through 4th grade. Singapore for a few months in 5th grade, but I had a hard time helping him with the story problems so he went to Teaching Textbooks for the rest of 5th and 6th grade. He actually started Teaching Textbooks Pre- Algebra at the end of 6th grade. He attended a partnership program for 7th grade and completed a pre-algebra 1 course. I'm not sure of the publisher of that course. My husband and I have decided that the partnership program was not for our family so my son is now home for 8th grade(in the fall). I am so excited for our decision! My hope for this next year is to prepare him for The Forester's Algebra 1 course that HOD offers.
Christina

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I also think I would go with the teaching text book pre-algebra if your friend will let you borrow it. Someone I know used it for pre-algrebra and they couldn't have said enough great things about it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:44 pm

The ladies are doing such a good job of helping here! One good option has already been shared! :D HOD offers another great option - "No-Nonsense Algebra" by Rich Fisher. Everyone that has used this that I've visited with has LOVED it! Award-winning math teacher Rick Fisher does online video teaching sessions on his whiteboard that are just so clear they make algebra seem easy to understand. I'd give that a whirl. I think doing that for 8th grade would prepare dc well for Foerster's Algebra 1 for 9th grade. We loved Foerster's BTW. An awesome answer key and clear directions with a textbook I could hop in and help easily with were some of the reasons! HTH!

In Christ,
julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie