Foerster's - how long for the mom each day?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Foerster's - how long for the mom each day?

Post by deltagal » Wed May 28, 2014 11:46 am

HI all,

We are solidly ready for Algebra 1 and I'm trying to discern which route. We spend A LOT of time on math each day. It has paid off, but I need to have a clear picture of how much teaching time I will need to spend one to one on each subject area.

What has been your experience? How much time are you spending directly with your student each day if you are using Foerster's?

Thank you.

Florence

StephanieU

Re: Foerster's - how long for the mom each day?

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 pm

This is a part of a FB post from Carrie. I am guessing it would hold true for all of the math, middle school and higher:
It means instead that you are there to present for 15 min., guide for another 5-10 min., and check-in closely while they work. Partner with your child to be successful in math, and it will reap untold benefits whether your child is mathy or not!

Fifteen minute "lectures" on math were about the longest I ever did unless there was a lot of vocabulary (non-traditional math classes normally). But, I would spend the rest of the class time guiding them in problems and then letting them work with me there to answer questions. It sounds like Carrie does the same thing with her kids at home.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm

StephanieU - That's more or less the "formula" that I would like! I'm curious to see if others have found that forumula to be effective at the higher level.

Thank you!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Wed May 28, 2014 1:11 pm

I would consider those times pretty accurate. We've completed through chapter seven in Foerster's. For the first four or five chapters I rarely presented anything b/c it was review. Then I started having her meet with me first (for new material) so that I could explain things and work through a couple examples together. I do always correct her work right after she completes it (and sometimes as she completes it), so that she'll know she's doing it correctly.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed May 28, 2014 2:41 pm

StillJulie wrote:I would consider those times pretty accurate. We've completed through chapter seven in Foerster's. For the first four or five chapters I rarely presented anything b/c it was review. Then I started having her meet with me first (for new material) so that I could explain things and work through a couple examples together. I do always correct her work right after she completes it (and sometimes as she completes it), so that she'll know she's doing it correctly.

Did you use the video lessons at all?
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu May 29, 2014 7:20 am

Another Foerster question -

how easy is it for a non-math mom to oversee?

Thanks.
With Joy!
Florence

Began HOD 1/2009

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu May 29, 2014 8:15 pm

I have not used the videos at all.

My background is high school math teacher, though.

I'm not sure how easy it would be for a non-mathy person, b/c I can't relate to that.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu May 29, 2014 9:15 pm

My kids aren't that old but my oldest dd is very advanced in math. I started research math and thinking we will go with Foerester's when my dd is in 8th grade. But from my research, I think I am going to plan 45 min per day for math with Foerester's. I don't know that you will need to teach for 45 min but I think you will need to be readily available during that 45 min. I could be wrong so someone else who has used Foerester's please just in and correct me if I am wrong. I have heard high school math is a lot longer during your day than middle school math.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu May 29, 2014 9:28 pm

I wouldn't consider it unreasonable to allow 45-60 minutes per day for high school math. Some students might not need that long. Others may need longer, though I think I would avoid that by just having them stop after a maximum of 60 minutes, even if they don't get through as much as you might have planned for them.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi deltagal! We didn't use the videos. I am a person that enjoys math, but I think even someone who doesn't would still enjoy Foerster's. The solutions manual is a must. It gives line by line fully worked solutions, and it makes it easier to hop in and help as needed. I'd say it took about 45 minutes an hour each day, and I stayed right by Wyatt 30-45 minutes, depending on the difficulty of the skills that day. As we got further into it, I'd teach for about 30 minutes, and check back every 5-10 minutes to help as needed until he was done. I found the time to be very reasonable, as it is a 4 day a week math schedule already. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie