LHFHG Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TraceyF

LHFHG Question

Post by TraceyF » Tue May 20, 2014 9:29 am

I just received LHFHG in the mail (first time HOD user!) and after looking at it, I have some questions.

I bought LHFHG with the first grade options for science (Our Father's World) and math (Singapore 1a/1b) for a young 6 year old girl(June birthday) for the fall. I knew that the schedules for 1st grade math and science would be in the appendix but didn't know that they would only include page numbers for the 1st grade lessons. It looks like, because I bought the first grade options, that I would not have any hands on math from the guide and that the science block in the guide corresponds only to the K science lessons. I am unsure what to do because I really wanted the hands on math activities and the guidance for science as well (and, of course, was thrilled that it would all be in one place).

I considered buying BLHFHG originally but felt like LHFHG was the best fit after help from you all and was very excited about it. We will finishing phonics with A Beka language arts 1st grade and it will be time consuming. I thought the shorter lessons in LHFHG would be better.

Should I
1. Just buy the HIG for Singapore 1a/1b and keep on, just reading the assigned science pages?
2. Return LHFHG and try BLHFHG?
3. Do my own thing this year and do BLHFHG next year for 2nd grade?
4. Other ideas?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
DD 6 BLHFHG, enjoyed LHFHG
DS 15 Christian School
DD17 PS

MelInKansas

Re: LHFHG Question

Post by MelInKansas » Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 am

Yes, you're right, the schedule is in the Appendix and there are no activities to go along with them. The Singapore 1A/1B activities are in the Beyond guide. They are really helpful and easier to use than the 1A/1B textbooks would be. Usually it's recommended to buy the Beyond guide just to use for the math, and then when you move on to Beyond you can still get the package discount for the Beyond Economy Package if you ask. The Science you can either do the activities in the book (I don't have that book so I don't know but the other books do have hands-on activities in them though they are not as fun as those in LHFHG). Or I would just suggest you return the Science book and buy the other one to make it easier. I don't think the "level" of that science is really any big difference.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue May 20, 2014 11:15 am

For science, the activities in the guide can somewhat stand alone. If there is a reading in the science book that matches, then it is listed in the appendix. Part of post removed by board moderator per board rules.

As for math, I think that is why they have you buy the textbook. It has some activities in it. If you are using activities in the guide, then you don't use the textbook for Singapore 1-3. But, you can just buy the Beyond guide. We just bought the whole Beyond Economy package last year so we would have the ER schedule. Then we didn't have to buy much at all for this year.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 am

The first thing I would ask is have you had her take the singapore math placement test? SM generally starts 1A at 7 years old. That's why I ask. After that, assuming she places in 1A, I would buy the Beyond guide for the math hands on. HOD will give you a discount next year when you go ahead and buy the Beyond guide this year for that purpose. For the science I personally would return the 1st grade level science and buy the K level. I have used both and for whatever reason I prefer the K book. It's not really terribly different and its' super easy to just stay with the guide and use the K book.

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Wed May 21, 2014 2:04 pm

I was going to start Little Hearts also. I was not aware that not all activities for the different levels offered in the guide were NOT in the guide! So what books go exactly with what is in the Little Hearts guide? I was also going to do first grade and get Our Father's World, Singapore 1A/1B, and the emerging readers set for my son. I was already thinking of purchasing the Beyond guide for use with the emerging readers set. I'm not too thrilled to have to switch between the two guides every day to piece together his school curriculum. How does this all work? Please help!!! and Thank you!
Mommy to three precious little ones... and one on the way!
Excited to be using HOD for the first time our next school year :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 21, 2014 3:09 pm

TXMommy (and others) - The science in LHFHG isn't straight through a textbook. Even with the K book option, there are days of science where there isn't a connection to the text. But that is okay. The activities I think are what they learn the most from anyways. Just for ease of use, the K science is easier. That is because the page numbers are right in the guide on each day. The 1st and 2nd grade science books are in the appendix. You could always go and write the page numbers in the guide for each day, but we found it wasn't necessary. I think the books are great, but I definitely don't think they are critical to the science in LHFHG. One thing you will want to realize is that science in LHFHG and Beyond are very light on purpose. Kids learn so much science through play and exploring the world around them. So, there aren't a lot of "meaty" lessons. But, the science picks up speed each year in HOD. By Rev2Rev, the science is even high school credit worthy (depending on the option chosen).
As for what is scheduled in the guide on each day:
History using the two Bible options as well as verse references
K science book (on science days)
Devotion
Story time books
Fine Motor Skills - Both K handwriting options as well as both levels of Rod and Staff
K Math

Then, in the appendix are schedules for phonics (pacing instructions at least), 1st and 2nd grade science, 1st grade math, and maybe 1st grade handwriting (I don't remember if this is in the guide for each day or in the appendix because we didn't look at that box).

If you have the Beyond guide, the ER books are scheduled in the appendix, and the math is scheduled with activities/instructions for each day.
Mom to

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 pm

It is really nice to just use the guide as-is without having to flip to other pages or other guides. However, it is not that hard to make the changes you are looking at, and this is where HOD is also customizable for kids who are not at the same level in all areas. Here is what you would do:

Put a tab in the appendix for the science reading schedule and make sure to check that on science days for the reading from the other book

Have a bookmark or paperclip to keep your place in the Beyond guide for math (or if you are on the same day of the guide in Beyond math as you are in LHFHG then you will know where to look).

Put a tab in the Beyond appendix where the Emerging Reader schedule is. If you start this at the beginning of the year you'll be in the same place as in your guide (Unit X day X) and you can find it easily that way, or check it off in pencil.

It is still all planned out for you, you just need to look in different places for the different parts. This may seem difficult but it won't be after a week or so.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Thu May 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Thank you for all your input ladies, it's very much appreciated. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and start my little guy in Beyond and just go slow if need be. I looked at the placement chart and I think he places enough in Beyond that we'll be OK. ~Have a great weekend :)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 23, 2014 11:18 am

TXmommy wrote:Thank you for all your input ladies, it's very much appreciated. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and start my little guy in Beyond and just go slow if need be. I looked at the placement chart and I think he places enough in Beyond that we'll be OK. ~Have a great weekend :)
I woudl say definitely pray about it. The only place my daughter didn't place into Beyond last year was handwriting (she wasn't ready to copy sentences but was ready for everything else). We went ahead and did LHFHG last year, and I am very glad we did. I realized that it was okay not to push super hard. Also, something Julie said stuck with me - LHFHG full speed is more than Beyond half speed. That and seeing that LHFHG is a 1st grade guide if count backwards were what really helped me decide to go wtih LHFHG. My daughter grew so much, even though LHFHG seems simple. We will start Beyond next week, and she is so ready for that. Even though I could check the boxes for Beyond last year, she really wants ready...
Mom to

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Fri May 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Thank you StephanieU, you've given me so much to think about! My son isn't ready for copying sentences yet either. I think that I'm afraid that if we do Little Hearts now, when we get to Beyond, it will be boring for him because it'll be so easy. Maybe I'm wrong though. He is not mature for his age (has some "delays" that we have to work with). He's six now and would be seven during most of his 1st grade year. This forum has been so helpful to me! I will consider just repeating K with him and doing Little Hearts... and yes, I will pray about it!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and explain things :) ~Danell

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 23, 2014 2:44 pm

TXmommy wrote:Thank you StephanieU, you've given me so much to think about! My son isn't ready for copying sentences yet either. I think that I'm afraid that if we do Little Hearts now, when we get to Beyond, it will be boring for him because it'll be so easy. Maybe I'm wrong though. He is not mature for his age (has some "delays" that we have to work with). He's six now and would be seven during most of his 1st grade year. This forum has been so helpful to me! I will consider just repeating K with him and doing Little Hearts... and yes, I will pray about it!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and explain things :) ~Danell
Here are a few food for thought things: HOD isn't based on grades for a reason. Grades artificially place kids in one level for all subjects, which normally isn't where they actually. They might be on one level for math, another for reading, and a third for writing for example. This is something i love about HOD. There are ways to customize the 3Rs to fit your child at a variety of levels. But, it is a lot easy to beef something up than to simplify it. So, normally the rule of thumb is to go with the lower guide when in doubt. Also, the history, storytime, and devotionals used are targeted for the ages Carrie suggests. So, most 7yos won't find the material in LHFHG boring. One of the books in LHFHG is actually a 3rd grade book I think (History Stories for Children). Devotions for the Children's Hour has a suggested age of 6+ according to Amazon. So, I wouldn't be worried about that at all.
Mom to

MerryHeart

Post by MerryHeart » Tue May 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I use 2 guides (LHFHG & BLHFHG) for one child & it really isn't hard to manage! I have tabs like the other ladies suggested. And the science is loosely based on textbook so either book will work fine.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 pm

You've received wise counsel here already! I'll just add that the LHFHG's plans are intending for the parent to use the 1A/1B Textbooks to teach the lessons rather than the hands-on lessons. Whether you would like to teach using the hands-on math 1A/1B plans in Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory's TG, or by using the 1A/1B Textbooks as planned in the LHFHG Appendix is a personal preference. That being said - I loved using the hands-on math plans in Beyond for teaching the lessons! A ton of moms just get the Beyond TG, put a sticky note in it, and move through the plans a day at a time. I did this with the Emerging Reader's Set last year, and it was super slick! :D Honestly, it is really very easy to do! Many curriculums have a TG for every subject, so using 2 will not be hard. :D However, if you'd rather not use 2 guides, then the Textbook can be used to teach the lessons instead, and that is already included in your LHFHG Appendix. :D If you do decide to get the Beyond manual, you can let HOD know you bought it from them the next year when you order the rest of the Beyond Economy Package, and HOD will credit back your package savings. :D As far as the science, the Grade 1 Science matches the key ideas and experiments in the daily plans as well. So, just have a sticky tab in the Appendix for the page numbers so you know what to read each day, and do the science just as planned in the daily plans. :D I wouldn't change a placement based on these things. It sounds like LHFHG with the first grade options was a solid placement, so I'd just get to enjoying it! HTH - I think once you start, you will see how open and go HOD is! :D :D :D I can't wait for you to start!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

As an extra encouragement for not placing kids too high, My son (7- 2nd grade) and daughter (5/6 - K) did LHFHG this year together. I was worried at the beginning of the year that it would be too easy for him, but his age still fit into the range and this year turned out to be great for him! He did Singapore 1a/1b. I bought the Beyond guide and did the hands on activities from that since I knew we would be using the guide next year anyways. After discovering the history supplemental literature in the LHFHG appendix, it became even richer for him (and my daughter). He probably got more out of the storytime and history than she did-- it was not too "light' at all! He did work on a 2nd grade handwriting book instead of the HOD handwriting suggestions since he had already learned how to form his letters. There are others books like, "Draw, Write, Now" that you could also substitute for the handwriting box to beef it up for him if necessary. Or, if you get the Beyond guide for math, you could even start spelling list 1 in that guide to add to the handwriting (L.A.) portion in LHFHG.
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm sorry for referencing your daughter as 'him' in my post! ha ha. I need to go to bed...
I was also going to mention, you can trade the science book for the K if it makes you feel more confident, but I don't think it is crucial. We have the K science book and I think the science box can definitely stand alone without the text.
I think it is worth it to buy the Beyond guide for the math activities if she places in 1a/1b. You'll use it the next year anyways!
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14