placement suggestions for 6 and 4 year old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LHayes723

placement suggestions for 6 and 4 year old

Post by LHayes723 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:32 pm

I am trying to decide what to do with my almost 6 year old (daughter) and almost 4 year old (son). I have been using Little Hands to Heaven and both have done it. My 6 year old is also halfway done with the Reading Lesson. I really am trying to avoid using two different guides right now. I will evenutally since I also have a 1 1/2 year old. Has anyone used Little Hearts for His Glory with a 4 year old? I am thinking of just doing LHFHG with both.

My other option I am thinking about trying is skipping Little Hearts for His Glory with my 6 year old and starting Beyond LHFHG with her. And then doing another year of LHTH with my 4 year old since I super familar with that guide. The main reason for doing LHTH with my 6 year old was to do the same guide with both. But my 6 year old falls more into Beyond LHFHG according to the placement on the catalog.

And just for more background. My almost 6 year old (April 2 is her bday). Started LHTH at 3.5 and finished at 5 and then for this last year has just done it again with her 3 year old brother. Plus I added in Phonics for her (The Reading Lesson) and Saxon math and Handwriting without tears for this last year. Now I am trying to figure out a guide to keep us going. But also want to make life as simple as possible.

Ok so I could use any wisdom. Thank you.

Also we don't use Singapore math if that means much, so math isn't a factor for us. We use Saxon.

countrymom

Re: placement suggestions for 6 and 4 year old

Post by countrymom » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:50 am

I know one guide seems alluring, but truthfully the easiest way to go is two guides with each child properly placed. I would not do LHFHG with a just turned 4 year old. If your almost 6 yr old places solidly in Beyond, you could use that, maybe starting at 1/2 speed for awhile to put her in Bigger a bit past age 7. This would put a guide between your two children. One consideration for Beyond is if the child is able to sit still and listen to chapter books with few pictures. There are several options for LHTH so you could continue another year with your just turned 4 yr old in that guide.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

momof3kids

Re: placement suggestions for 6 and 4 year old

Post by momof3kids » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:04 pm

Just wanted to share our experience ....
This year was our first year as well....with a 6 yo and 4 yo like you. My older ds placed well in Beyond, so that's what we did for him this year, while placing my then 4yo in LHTH. It has been great, for all of us. I usually try to get my older ds started with his reading and copy work, he also does some Explode the Code books...while he does these things...I do LHTH with my younger son. It has worked well for us, even with a 2yo, and now expecting again in Sept.
I had thought at first of combining, but they are really so far apart skill wise, it would have never worked...and it is so easy to just open the guide and do what it says!...I feel a little more knowledgeable about things now..but still don't want extra work of figuring out what I would have to add or change if they were combined.
One thing to think about....I think it was Julie who advised me that the older child often takes off just by nature, they are go getters....so if want to combine later, may be able to do younger children together with less work.
I too was/am a little concerned about running 3-4guides possibly in the future....but, I can see how it is easier when they are placed where they belong. I think both my boys and I would be more frustrated if I had tried to put them together.
I don't have as much experience as these other mamas....but thought it might help to know what worked for us as you sound in a similar situation :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo