Which writing program?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sltress

Which writing program?

Post by sltress » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 pm

Here’s my dilemma. I will be starting Res to Ref with my ds who is 12 as soon as it is delivered. We are starting at week 15 b/c we already covered history up to that point with another program. He has done almost all of R&S 6 and had bits and pieces of other paragraph/outlining work from a workbook. He does OK writing written (one paragraph) narrations but hasn’t done a “formal writing program”. Looking ahead to Rev to Rev and MMM he will be doing Creative Writing and WWTB 2 in those programs and I want him to be prepared. So right now I don’t know if he should start WWTB 1 or Medieval History writing. It’s OK if it stretches into our Rev to Rev year as someone said he could try doing the Creative Writing book over the summer before MMM. So…if you had to pick one, would you do the Medieval or WWTB 1 and why? Does he need to do WWTB 1 before he does 2?
I know I asked this before but then I was just looking ahead to next year with Rev to Rev but since then I decided to do the last half of Res to Ref this year I wondered if I should go back and do WWTB 1 or Medieval that is scheduled with Res to Ref. Thx!
Stacey

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Which writing program?

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:47 pm

If I was just choosing between WWTB and IEW. I would choose IEW hands down.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:01 pm

IEW Medevial based. I love, love, love this program. I also bought the teaching writing, structure and style DVD set for myself. I am so impressed with their methods. I wish I had this when I was younger and learning to write. Much better in my opinion than WWTB.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm

We will always stick with IEW. It's the best available and makes the most sense.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:37 pm

I vote for the IEW also!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 pm

My 13 year old daughter hadn't had any formal writing curriculum either until IEW Medieval History. I was really concerned that it would be overwhelming for her. She has grown leaps and bounds with her writing skills! I say put him in IEW. And if you have to, take it slow. You will be really pleased that you chose IEW.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

sltress

Post by sltress » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 pm

ok so i can just skip WWTB 1 and do IEW and then go on to Creative Writing and then WWTB 2?
do i need the TM with IEW or just the student book?
Thx so much for all of your input!
Stacey

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 am

My daughter skipped WWTB 1. She will finish up IEW and then she's doing creative writing next year. I have the IEW teacher's manual, but have only referenced it a few times. However, some moms rely on it heavily. I know it's an added expense, but it's nice to know you have it. Maybe check their website to learn more about it?
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

toobigfrogs

Post by toobigfrogs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 am

We love IEW!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:17 pm

We enjoyed the variance between IEW and WWTB. They are both excellent writing programs based upon different merits. For your purposes, I think doing the Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons makes good sense. It is written in the RTR guide you are using, and it matches the history beautifully. As long as you're doing all the rest of the LA options and assignments HOD has (i.e. R & S English grammar, written narrations, DITHOR, etc.), as well as using the living books and CM follow-ups suggested, I think that your ds will be alright doing WWTB 2 later, thought obviously having done WWTB 1 would have helped. The CM based assignments and higher level reading/writing required in HOD works together to help prepare dc for the classics excerpts used in WWTB, as well as for the writing assignments. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie