Phonics in LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
CrystalM

Phonics in LHFHG

Post by CrystalM » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Are the phonics lessons in LHFHG planned throughout the entire guide? If my daughter finishes her phonics lessons before the end of the guide, what are my options? Go directly into Emerging readers or get readers from the library until we start Beyond?

Crystal M.

my3sons

Re: Phonics in LHFHG

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:10 pm

There is just a reminder to do phonics each day in the daily plans of LHFHG. This is purposeful as dc can then move at the pace befitting their needs. Dc should do at least 1 year of formal phonics. When they finish that year, if they are reading books such as "Frog and Toad" (or level 1 or 2 readers) quite smoothly with just a word or two that slow them down each page to decode, they can move on to the Emerging Reader's Set using the Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory guide. If they are still sounding out many words and not ready to begin the Emerging Reader's Set, then doing another year of phonics - a different phonics program than they did before - would be what they would do next. So, after your child finishes the first year of phonics, if she can read level 1 or 2 readers smoothly with only a few stops, she should begin the ERS in Beyond (even if that is in the middle of LHFHG). Or, if your child finishes the first year of phonics and cannot start the ERS, doing another year of phonics - possibly "Reading Made Easy" as that would be more difficult - would be advised. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie