LHFHG for K or 1st??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

LHFHG for K or 1st??

Post by momof3kids » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi all,
Just wondering of those who have used LHFHG.. does it seem more fitted for a K program or 1st grade??.. I know it is child dependent, and there are options for both. My second son just turned 5 and will finish LHTH around May, and he is doing well with it...so deciding if we should go ahead and start LHFHG at a slower pace?... or maybe do something else this year, and when he is 6 go into LHFHG with 1st grade options..?
I want him to have a really good phonics base, and have a good K year...this will only be our second year (but so far our first year is going good!)
Would love any input on how this program has worked best for others :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

StephanieU

Re: LHFHG for K or 1st??

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm

I would say that it really depends on the kid. The storytime I think it more first grade. The Bible/history portion is probably a high K/low 1st grade level. The rhymes may be more K-ish for many kids. The rotating box has activities that could be a little young for some 1st graders and a little hard from some young K-ers. I think the Bible devotional is more 1st grade.
Personally, I think LHFHG is great for older K or younger 1st. if your 1st grader will turn 7 in the fall, then Beyond might be better. If your K child won't turn 6 until late spring or summer, then I wouldn't start LHFHG, at least full speed, unless they were being combined with an older sibling.

For K, we just did phonics (and handwriting), math, and AWANA for Bible. It was definitely enough for her last year. But, we also hadn't done LHTH. Did you do the ABC devotional or the younger option? If you did the younger option, then maybe you could go back and just do the Bible things with the older devotional (maybe double speed) and then start LHFHG after Christmas?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

lovemygirls

Post by lovemygirls » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 am

I struggled with the same question with my dd but eventually decided on LHFHG for kindy and that I would run it at half speed for as long as needed and even planned to use it part of her 1st grade year. However, once we got started I realized, she was more than ready for full speed so that sort of changes my plans. :D We are on unit 12 and so far so good. There are days I only work the 3 R's due to time constraints but that's my issue so she is keeping up nicely. I think it really depends on the child and their maturity but for us it's perfect for kindergarten.

Since he is already going through LHTH and doing well I would just keep going with the next guide. You mentioned transitioning in May and a lot of growing happens in just a few months so by then he could be ready. The guides are so easy to adjust the pace so you can definitely run it at half speed if you need to.

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:04 am

I think LHFHG can be a really great kindy program. My sister has used it with her two kids (both on the young end of the guide) and I started it right after my son turned 5 and he has done well. We started slow and quickly discovered that wasn't enough for him--he wanted more school! LHTH does a good job preparing them for LHFHG and you can always start slow. Whatever you choose, have fun!