Not getting it all done

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
WellsSchool

Not getting it all done

Post by WellsSchool » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Can some HOD veterans give me some tips on how to successfully complete a day of work? While I admit that I might (let alone my children) be a bit ADD and easily distracted, it is taking us more time to complete a day's work than is suggested in the HOD catalog. We might follow a rabbit trail here and there and likely discuss a bit more together than some (benefits of homeschooling), but I'm having difficulty getting it all done in a day. This is our boys' first year using HOD and doing more independent work so I realize that it may take more time to develop such a work ethic and time management goals. FYI, I am teaching two boys in Creation to Christ (one is doing extension work). Thank you for any advice you can share! Lori

psreit

Re: Not getting it all done

Post by psreit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:23 am

Distractions are a problem here as well. I will tell you what we started last week, and so far, it has helped. I know I only have one to work with, but hope something helps. I got my dd an alarm clock for Christmas, so she can start getting up at a certain time...on her own. I made a 'schedule' (untimed) of the order we are doing things, with some breaks mixed in. We will follow that step by step, with no TV or computer until all is completed. Yes, there are some minor interruptions. But, since Angie knows she can't be doing other things until she completes what is on the list, she wants to get at it, so she can move on to other things. I was never a structured one, but with this child, I need to be. :) Otherwise, if it is taking longer to get certain things done, maybe you need to spread some things out.
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:50 am

CTC is a full-packed guide so I would take the advice I have seen Carrie give on this forum many times and try to just do the boxes as written. I would also make sure your children are correctly placed. You might take a unit and use a timer, setting it to the recommended times for each box each day. See if you can find an area that is consistently taking longer. For example, my son is artistic so he often takes his time on the projects/art, etc. In this case you can do one of two things: either have the child stop when the time is up and finish at the end of the school session, or take the guide at a slower pace. My son works well and doesn't dwadle, so I have decided to do Preparing in 5 days instead of 4 to give him that extra time for his art/vocabulary/etc. projects (anything that involves creating or drawing he loves and will take longer). If all of the boxes are taking longer, I would consider again consider placement or permanently using a timer and all work not done in the allotted time is completed after school (and before play). Many children need guidance in learning the skill of working along efficiently. I use a schedule to keep us on track. I don't put times on it (I can't stand timed schedules), but I do put boxes and an order. This keeps us on track and going in a forward direction. A schedule, combined with a timer might help things not to get too far off track.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

creekmama

Post by creekmama » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 pm

My son has just started Preparing, so he's now starting to work more independently. Until recently he has been resistant to independent work and was likely to dawdle. And he loves to go off on a rabbit trail! My new rule, which seems to be working so far, is that Mama is done at 3:00. So if there is still unfinished work after 3:00, Buddy will be putting in a longer school day, not Mama!
Kelley
Peter (12, Res to Ref)
Betsy (9, Preparing)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm

I am a lot like creekmama. My oldest is in Preparing and she can be total time waster. I have had to give up the thought that we will be done in the allotted time. However, it really is her fault so I have decided that we will work on this area and that and then if you take longer, you can go into the evening. But there are cases where we have stuff that happens during the day where she is working hard and we still go over. Those days I am more lenient. We may push it to the next day if need be and finish up something on Saturday (we do a co-op on Mondays so any extra work gets pushed to Saturday but it rarely comes to that).

Honestly, I set a very specific schedule for my kids of what you will do and when you will do it. That has helped the most. Since I am running 2 guides but my younger needed the most one on one attention it was hard for me to juggle my time correctly. So over the Christmas break I laid it all out and I find we are getting done quickly. And my oldest in preparing is working a lot harder than she was in the beginning of the year. She likes her free time. So she is working much harder to finish in the allotted time.

And finally - I pretty much never add anything to guide. I do a different math program but that is because I have been using it from the beginning and I am not switching mid math. I also used a special spelling because my oldest struggled so much. But both of those programs are pretty much a one for one transfer of time. So I am finding that my school day is now much more comparable and reasonable in length. I would give your self the freedom to go a little slow at first so that you and your boys can get into the groove of the program. It will get there.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

WellsSchool

Post by WellsSchool » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:12 pm

I'm not seeing any place that gives recommended times per box each day. Am I missing something or is this not listed in CtC?

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:49 pm

This is actually in the CTC forum. But it breaks down the amount for each box.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14365
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

WellsSchool

Post by WellsSchool » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Thank you, this will be helpful.

WellsSchool

Post by WellsSchool » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 pm

I wanted to post a "review" of the advice I was given above should anyone wander onto this thread. I looked at the suggested times listed for each box and made up a schedule, relying more upon order than rigid, specific start and end times (but keeping those guidelines in mind) as Carrie stated elsewhere. I also used the suggested times as a guideline to know what subjects could be worked on individually while I was helping my other student with his semi-independent work. The change has been almost miraculous for us and for our day in general. We are now consistently getting everything done...and are still smiling at the end of the day. (I hate to overuse the word "miraculous," thus the word "almost," but REALLY, the change is remarkable.) :D Order and organization made a huge difference in our day. If I hadn't done it myself, I don't know if I'd believe what a striking turn around a simple tweak of a set schedule would make. Thank you for your help, ladies!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:32 pm

That is such wonderful news and thanks for sharing how much it helped you guys! I think you can definitely call it miraculous. I believe God gives wisdom and grace upon our homeschooling at times, and it is His favor, there is no doubt about it!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven