Help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kims

Help

Post by Kims » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I need help. We moved the middle of November and we have not done any school since two weeks before that. I am wondering if I should just start back where we left off. I know starting where we left off in HOD will be pretty easy with the history but I am not sure how they will do with their spelling and other stuff. I do know that my 6yo who was having trouble counting to 20 can now count to 50 with no help from me so I don't think all is lost.
I figure I can just start and see where things go.
What would you suggest? or what do you think?
I do have to admit that I am in a big slump and the thought of starting back is overwhelming to me.
I would love thoughts and suggestions on this too.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Nealewill

Re: Help

Post by Nealewill » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

We haven't done school for 2.5 weeks and I plan to pick back up right where we left off. The one thing I like to do though is make the first 2 days a half day. That way I don't get those nasty attitudes of how school is taking all day and that they are miserable. Yours might not do that by my kids lately have been a little melodramatic.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Unless you think they are wrongly placed now, 2 months later, you should pick up where you left off. If some stuff for the younger kids is now way too easy, you can try doubling up to move through it more quickly. That would probably be easier to move through than trying to figure out where to go, since you've only had 2 months off.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Kims

Post by Kims » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:13 am

I do think he is still correctly placed.
I think I will just start slow and go from there. I don't feel like I need to "catch up" as we will hopefully school some this summer.
Kim S
Jamie 22, Sloane 19, Savannah 18, Collin 9, and Judah 7
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:33 pm

It's ok! :D Moving is a BIG deal... Christmas is a BIG deal... your dc are going to be just fine! I would just start back up where you left off, and move forward. We take the entire summer off, and I have one ds on a Jan. to Dec. schedule for starting/finishing a guide. He is thriving! We started back up today after our Christmas break, and I thought it would be tough to do, but it wasn't. The consistency and normalcy of the day was a blessing after our unpredictable break. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie